High ranking GOP under Reagan and Bush Supporting Hillary

Discuss anything you like in the Lounge. Movies, Politics, Religion or whatever else you come up with.

High ranking GOP under Reagan and Bush Supporting Hillary

Postby Tenebrous » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:54 am

Exclusive: Armitage to back Clinton over Trump
Former Reagan and Bush appointee is highest-ranking Republican to break ranks for Hillary.
By MICHAEL CROWLEY 06/16/16 11:54 AM EDT
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Richard Armitage, the deputy secretary of state under George W. Bush, says he will vote for Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump, in one of the most dramatic signs yet that Republican national security elites are rejecting their party’s presumptive nominee.

Armitage, a retired Navy officer who also served as an assistant secretary of defense under Ronald Reagan, is thought by Clinton aides to be the highest-ranking former GOP national security official to openly support Clinton over Trump.
Story Continued Below

“If Donald Trump is the nominee, I would vote for Hillary Clinton,” Armitage told POLITICO in a brief interview. “He doesn't appear to be a Republican, he doesn't appear to want to learn about issues. So, I’m going to vote for Mrs. Clinton.”

Dozens of Republican foreign policy elites have already declared their unwillingness to support or work for Trump, though far fewer say they would cast a ballot for Clinton. The latter group includes Max Boot, a prominent neoconservative military analyst and historian; Mark Salter, former longtime chief of staff to Republican Sen. John McCain; and retired Army Col. Peter Mansour, a former top aide to retired Gen. David Petraeus.

More national security heavyweights with conservative credentials could emerge in opposition to Trump in the coming months, though. Several retired generals, some with strong Republican connections, are privately alarmed over Trump’s candidacy and are debating whether to say so publicly. One retired general who served in a senior command role during the Obama years said former generals and officers are wary of the political fray, but that he expects a group of them “probably will try to energize something.”

One former senior commander, the retired four-star Marine Gen. James T. Mattis, even recently considered joining the 2016 presidential race as an independent candidate, at the behest of a group of anti-Trump Republicans that includes Weekly Standard editor William Kristol, who discussed the idea with Mattis over dinner in Washington in late April. Kristol says the general gave the idea serious consideration. Mattis has never declared a party affiliation but is widely believed to lean Republican.

Armitage gained national prominence in 2006 when he admitted to revealing the identity of CIA agent Valerie Plame to the columnist Robert Novak after her husband, Joe Wilson, publicly challenged Bush administration claims about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. He has called the act “foolish” and unintentional, and was never charged in the ensuing federal investigation.

Armitage told POLITICO Thursday that he didn’t know whether more Republicans might soon back Clinton. But he added that many of his conservative friends with national security backgrounds “are confused” by the choice before them and unsure about what to do.
“They’re in kind of a fog,” he said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/r ... z4Bln83NW3
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

Very difficult decision; who to support when two Leftists are the only choices? Smh, I doubt he'll be alone and Trump's stance effectively against the 2nd Amendment and NRA only gives credence to people unsure about Trump as a Republican.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 0

Re: High ranking GOP under Reagan and Bush Supporting Hillar

Postby DeadRinger » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:14 pm

Alright Tene, yours and others' unbelievable psychosis has convinced me. I'll vote for Hillary over a Trump.

Now will you shut the FUCK up about Trump?

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Medals: 1

Re: High ranking GOP under Reagan and Bush Supporting Hillar

Postby Tenebrous » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:54 pm

DeadRinger wrote:Alright Tene, yours and others' unbelievable psychosis has convinced me. I'll vote for Hillary over a Trump.

Now will you shut the FUCK up about Trump?

Lol, glad I convinced you that Trump is the wrong candidate, but my point was not just to convince you, but to open a discussion during the off season. Regardless, my criticism of Trump is not an endorsement of Hillary. Indeed, I like neither of leftist candidates.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Return to The Lounge