WRs: Who will be better long-term? Ruggs vs Edwards

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

WRs: Who will be better long-term? Ruggs vs Edwards

Postby DeadRinger » Wed May 13, 2020 10:13 am

I'm reading a lot about Edwards and loving everything I read.

Assuming that Edwards isn't the kind of guy who lacks NFL-level quickness, and can come in and get separation, I think he might just be more productive for us long-term than Ruggs.

For instance, Tyreek Hill in KC, even though he's their most explosive playmaker, is not their most productive receiver - that's Kelce. So it's the big-bodied chain-mover who really racks up the yards and is the clutch dude. Of course, you can argue Hill makes everything easier for Kelce - and I think that's 100% correct. But the question is can Ruggs become a Moss--type 1500-yd speedster producer? I don't think so, bc he doesn't have that size, so he'll be a lot more like Hill than Moss.

I think Edwards can be that productive for us, and he could easily be a STEAL in the 3rd.

He could make Tyrell Williams superfluous next season.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Highscores: 0
Medals: 1

Re: WRs: Who will be better long-term? Ruggs vs Edwards

Postby piratepride » Wed May 13, 2020 7:12 pm

I really liked Edwards too. Tough, fights through 1st contact, and can straight up out jump 90% of the defensive backs trying to guard him. He was too good to pass up even after the Bowden selection.
Is he better than Ruggs now?
Will he be better for us long term?
Who the hell knows, but I get why Gruden pulled the trigger on him over Lamb now.
Ruggs provides instant speed so much so that the defense almost has to dedicate two defenders to his side or be forced to play Way off if playing man. Last year we played Tyreek Hill off coverage and he absolutely destroyed us on quick screens and slants. Ruggs does so much for us just being on the field its ridiculous.
This is why having multiple options/depth on offense is so exciting. Teams won't or shouldn't load the box, Waller won't be facing double teams, and hopefully with a healthy Tyrell Williams Ruggs will see a lot of man on man defense early amd often.
If our WRs can get going early, Josh Jacobs will be getting through the line with ease this season. He damn near got 1200 yards last year all while missing 4 games due to his shoulder issues. I look for his numbers to improve with Ruggs clearing out his half of the field.

piratepride
The Mercs
The Mercs

Re: WRs: Who will be better long-term? Ruggs vs Edwards

Postby DeadRinger » Thu May 14, 2020 10:55 am

I agree. All 3 of our shiny new toys have a ton of potential.

Bowden was a man among boys against SEC defenses, so he's NFL-ready. IN GENERAL, you don't go out and beat SEC defenses week in and week out for years and then come to the NFL and fail miserably (exceptions like D-Mac aside). Yes, there's a jump up in competition, but it's the slightest jump in all of football. SEC defenses, as shown every single year in the draft, are the strongest non-pro defenses in the world.

So you look at every one of our top offensive picks - Ruggs, Edwards, Bowden - all faced SEC defenses almost every week.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Medals: 1

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum