I'm watching game 1 from last season vs DEN

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

I'm watching game 1 from last season vs DEN

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:48 am

I decided I'd go into NFL.com's free GamePass an look at some film to see what we'll be working with next season.

Several things jump off the screen in game 1 - Monday Night opener in OAK.

To preface this, the 2 things that jumped out the most: Johnathan Abram and Josh Jacobs. Bar none. Tyrell Williams and Clelin Ferrell also had GREAT games.

1. The fucking refs made 5-6 fucking atrocious calls against the Raiders. 2 of them against Johnathan Abram; 1 for illegal contact, 1 for lowering the helmet to initiate contact. There were many other very fucking bad calls. We had to fight the Donkeys AND the officials to win this one.

2. Our defense in this game was COMPLETELY different from the way it looked most of the rest of the year. The ENERGY on the defensive side of the ball was higher than anything I've seen on this team since the '80s. They just shrugged off the horrible calls, lined up and went after it all over again. It was fucking beautiful to watch. And it stayed high all game long, at every level. Both Flacco and Lindsay were actually having good games but Burfict, Abram, Ferrell, Mayowa, Mauro - they were all making plays like they were free. It was just a completely different defense than the one I was watching late in the season.

3. When we get Abram back, he's going to dramatically change our defense. He3's always around the ball, whether it's in the d-backfield or the o-backfield. He wants in on every play, and he calculates his angles in order to inflict the hardest possible hit. Talk about TOUGH - He tore his rotator cuff AND his labrum on a play in the first half and finished the rest of the game after that. I could see he was tentative on a few plays after that but he also laid some serious wood on a couple other plays. It all depended on which shoulder he was making the hit with. So the kid is tough as nails, but he also has a very high football IQ - great instincts for the ball, textbook tackler... I don't think anyone realizes just how much of an impact he's going to have for us next year.

So I'm watching and thinking about Abram, Ferrell, Mad Maxx, Lamarcus Joyner and Trayvon Mullen and thinking about what happens when we add Cory Littleton, Nick Kwiatkoski, Maliek Collins and Damon Arnette. That's 9 of our starting 11 defenders right there.

And we have DEPTH guys like Carl Nassib, Arden Key, Damarious Randall, Jeff Heath, Nevin Lawson and Johnathan Hankins.

And I'm interested to see what we have with guys like Isaiah Johnson, Amik Robertson and Tanner Muse, if anything.

So this coming season, not only is our defense a lot stronger, it's a LOT deeper overall. This SHOULD be a very different season than last year, defensively speaking.

2020 season. Vegas. Playoffs.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Highscores: 0
Medals: 1

Re: I'm watching game 1 from last season vs DEN

Postby piratepride » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:30 pm

In my other post I mentioned Abram bieng a difference maker for us in Denver....my bad, I meant week 1 in Oakland lol.
Anyway I remember seeing the laundry list of injuries and suspensions in a Facebook post and realized just how much shit this team went through. I remember betting my bronco loving cousin $20 prior to this game and watching Von Miller get absolutely man handled. The defense as you mentioned was playing lights out for most of the time.
Too bad most of our starters got injured otherwise we could have had something. This is why I'm so happy we added as many defensive peices as we did through the draft and free agency. Here's to a healthy season!
If there's one peice I'm unsure of when it comes to our draft its Tanner Muse LB from Clemson in the 3rd round.
Anyone know anything about him? I feel like he was a reach, but feom what I can tell he has hustle and was good enough to stary for Clemson. What does he have over say Miles Burris?
Not like he's Luke Kuechly or something?

piratepride
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 0

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum