We have GOT to get a better OL coach. Oh and a better OC.

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

We have GOT to get a better OL coach. Oh and a better OC.

Postby DeadRinger » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:24 am

I think we're going to make at least one more big-ish move on the OL this offseason, and then we're going to put a Ferrari into the hands of a fucking farmer who likes to drive tractors.

Why do we do this shit to ourselves? I watch a lot of teams deal successfully with MAJOR problems along the OL - I'm talking about injuries to their biggest starts - and they still protect their QBs. CABLE can't even keep his QB clean when he has 5 fuckin' pro bowl starters.

Yet here we were with the best Ol on paper and Carr suffering broken bones and SACKED FIFTY-ONE TIMES last year!

Think about that for a second. Fred was bitching all year about how Carr was checking down all the time - and he was. And he STILL got sacked 51 times. Fred will tell you that's because he doesn't know how to move around in the pocket, but I say it's because our OL was either piss-poor or piss-poorly coached, or both.

And on a side note, Derek Carr is SO fuckin' good, he had a career season in a lot of important stats even though he had no blocking. Yeah, I'll take Carr again for 2018.

I absolutely believe we HAD to break up the kneeler gang, which we've done now. So I think the OL we field in 2019 will be a damn good one.

The only questions is the coaching. And not just the OL coach, but the OC as well. Can't overcome shitty position coaching if you have a dog shit OC, and that's exactly the kind of issue I was talking about when everyone was saying that Gruden basically was running the offense.

Yeah, he's running it at the highest level, but he NEEDS an OC who can fucking COACH.

We have GOT to unload Cable. As good as this OL can be, I don't see it succeeding until we do. We have tied one hand behind our back.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Highscores: 0
Medals: 1

Re: We have GOT to get a better OL coach. Oh and a better O

Postby DeadRinger » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:31 am

From ESPN, THIS is all we need to know about our OL last year:

"The Raiders had $36 million committed to their offensive line in 2018, the fourth most in the NFL, according to ESPN Stats & Information. But that unit underperformed greatly last season; according to ESPN's pass rush metrics powered by NFL Next Gen Stats, the Raiders had the third-lowest pass-rush win rate in the NFL, sustaining their blocks for at least 2.5 seconds just 41 percent of the time. Raiders quarterback Derek Carr was sacked a career-high 51 times after being sacked a combined 36 times in 2016 and 2017."

Granted, Miller and Parker gave up a lot of sacks last season. I think it was about 25 between the 2 of them. But guess what, we had other guys on the roster too. Other OTs who could have played, like Sharpe. Osemele could have moved to LT. You have to MANAGE this shit.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Medals: 1

Re: We have GOT to get a better OL coach. Oh and a better O

Postby FreddieB25 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:56 am

Dante Scarnecchia the Patriot O line coach who has been there forever and is probably the best in the biz contributed to Trent Brown's success as well as Brady's pocket awareness and brilliance as a qb. We overpaid for Trent Brown and he won't be as effective in Oak like NE. Cable is trash but no one else worth a damn would want this job. Cable was beating up women and one of his coaches and he gets a second chance in Oakland. Only reason Trent and AB are here is because they got paid. They don't give a shit about nothing aside from that. Carr season was a mirage. Look at his qbr in the red zone, 4th qtr and on 3rd and long. We were in tank mode most of the year. There was no pressure on him to compete and win games. He was padding his stats with checkdowns and high pct throws and garbage time fantasy football appeasing numbers. He did nothing last year aside from playing it safe. The motherfucker won 4 games all year and fucked up a couple games late. How many times did he just throw the ball in the dirt or just fall down to avoid a solid hit. The kid did nothing special, Jared Cook made him look good.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum