Papa and Flores

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Papa and Flores

Postby FreddieB25 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:00 pm

There both out as Raider radio guys and Brent Musberger in as Raider radio play by play. I liked Papa, Flores was getting old but I did prefer Bill King doing Raider radio back in the day. Not a big Musberger fan although he was a good college football TV guy. He's based in Vegas so he'll probably be the LV Raider radio guy when we start there in 2020. Papa and Flores have had nothing to be excited about for fifteen years aside from the 2016 regular season. I really don't have a problem with this move. I would have a problem when we move to Vegas if we changed our classic logo or the Raiders name or change out of silver and black. Our black jerseys and silver helmet and logo was cool to see on MNF in the 70's under the lights when I first started watching the NFL in like 1975. Our uniforms top to bottom are a sports classic.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Highscores: 0

Re: Papa and Flores

Postby FreddieB25 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:09 pm

Aside from the Raiders uniform back in the 70's. I liked the Cowboys with the white jerseys look, Pittsburgh with black jerseys, miami in all white and Minnesota in purple. Something about the old school Pat the Patriot New england helmet I liked as well as the old Seahawk helmet. I liked the Denver Orange crush jerseys and old helmet from the 70's as well. Only teams to wear black jerseys in the 70's were the Raiders and Steelers. Two best teams from that era and two of the best of all time imo.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby FreddieB25 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:14 pm

I totally blanked. The New Orleans Aints had a variation of black jersey back in the 70's. Just didn't seem as black as Pitt and Oakland's.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Forbiddenraider » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:27 am

The reason why Papa was let go was because he criticized Tommy Boy Davis for interviewing Mike Shanahan. Papa said it was a disgrace that Shanahan was interviewed & that Al hated him, Pete Roselle & Marcus Allen. But he hated Shanahan the most. MD was pissed about that & Papa was fired

Forbiddenraider
RF Refugees
RF Refugees

Postby silver & black » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:13 pm

I really don't give a fuck about this. I know he was the "voice" of the Raiders, I just don't care about this kind of shit. I just want to "win baby!'

So far, things aren't sounding so good in Raider land... with the Mack debacle and Conley missing the second day of TC already. This team always has to have fucking drama in some g*d damned fashion.

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

Postby FreddieB25 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:36 pm

Musberger is a giant in broadcasting and brings a certain amount of notoriety and brand that will add to the buzz going into Vegas as well as the Gruden hiring. Musberger owns or is a co owner of a Vegas betting entity. Smart move by Mark considering the cross branding with Musberger and his presence nationally and in Vegas. I remember Papa's comments about the Shanahan interview and if Mark was so displeased he would have fired him in 2015. Papa and Flores ran their course and Flores was getting old and senile. Lincoln Kennedy, the sideline reporter was much better than those guys and will be Musberger's analyst on Raider radio now.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Forbiddenraider » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:37 pm

Musberger might soon be a corpse, but I’d much rather listen to him call the games than any of these tv assholes like Chris Collinsworth. Musberger is cool he reminds me of the 80s I remember him when I was a kid. Tom Flores is a legend should have been in HOF 15 years ago but he’s definitely going senile. Christ he probably 80

Forbiddenraider
RF Refugees
RF Refugees

Postby Forbiddenraider » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:37 pm

I feel old as fuck now.

Forbiddenraider
RF Refugees
RF Refugees

Postby FreddieB25 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:15 pm

I remember Musberger doing NBA games on cbs tv in the 70's and pregame NFL on cbs in the 70's with Jimmy the greek and irv cross. I don't like him personally but he sure has that voice that has been heard for generations now which is genius in marketing the franchise that has gone through tough times for decades now in regards to public persona. I remember when Tom Flores was hired as head coach of the Raiders in 1979. I'm getting old to think I remember this stuff like it was yesterday from forty years ago and change.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby silver & black » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:17 am

You guys feel old?.... I'm almost 59, and saw my first Raiders game in 1968. I've moved from feeling old to arrived at old! :lol:

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

Next

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum