Free Agents the Oakland Raiders Can Acquire for Cheap

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Free Agents the Oakland Raiders Can Acquire for Cheap

Postby blazin1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:18 pm

After being forced to make several cuts with the hope of making payroll in 2012, Oakland Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie has a similar situation on his hands in 2013.

The Raiders talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball, dropped off considerably last season because of the financial strains, and several changes must be made if they want to be relevant next season.

Although McKenzie won't be under as much pressure to save the team from the financial nightmare Al Davis left behind, he still needs to be careful about how much money he dishes out.

With that being said, there are several free agents the Raiders can acquire at a reasonable price. Let's take a look at a few of them.

William Beatty, OT

New York Giants right tackle Will Beatty is set to hit the free agent market after spending the last four years protecting Eli Manning.

The Raiders are in need of a new right tackle since Khalif Barnes couldn't protect Carson Palmer at all last season.

Beatty had a cap hit of only $845,000 in 2012, less than half of the $2 million Barnes had.

Beatty also comes from the New York market, a place where every wrong move and every missed block is scrutinized. Coming to a smaller market like Oakland with a new scheme would fit him nicely.

Plaxico Burress, WR

Yes, you're reading this correctly. The fact of the matter is that the Raiders need a big, physical receiver with experience to help build the younger wide receivers around him.

Darrius Heyward-Bey regressed in 2012 after a near-1,000 yard season the year before, and Denarius Moore became invisible in the second half of the season after missing routes and dropping easy passes.

Even at the age of 35, Plaxico Burress can still play football. He stands at 6'5'', 232 pounds, and has the size and strength to be a serious threat in the red zone, a weapon the Raiders lacked in 2012.

He only made $925,000 last season after playing a limited role with the Pittsburgh Steelers, and with a big-armed quarterback like Carson Palmer throwing the football, a big, physical wide receiver like Burress would add an exciting new element to the Raiders' offense.

After all, Davis loved the deep ball.

Captain Munnerlyn, CB

The Raiders secondary in 2012 was a joke. To even call it a secondary does injustice to what a real secondary should be.

Whether through the draft, trade, or free agency, Oakland needs to move Michael Huff back to his natural position at safety.

This gives the opportunity for a young cornerback like Carolina's Captain Munnerlyn to revamp a secondary that desperately needs to be revamped.

As a member of the Panthers, Munnerlyn made $1.3 million last season while recording 61 tackles and two interceptions.

He was forced to guard wide receivers like Roddy White, Marques Colston and Vincent Jackson last season while playing in the NFC South.

It goes without saying he has plenty of experience covering big-name receivers.

LINK: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/free-agents-oakland-raiders-acquire-cheap-2013-195200413--nfl.html

You don't adjust, you just dominate.

blazin1
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 90

Re: Free Agents the Oakland Raiders Can Acquire for Cheap

Postby Agentjon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:18 pm

I love Captain! But would like to stay away from people who shot themselves haha, but I guess he would fit right in with the rest of the 'gangsters' of Oakland...

Follow me on Twitter @Jon14225
Raider Nation for life!
Someone's gotta do it...

Agentjon
Rookie
Rookie
Highscores: 0

Re: Free Agents the Oakland Raiders Can Acquire for Cheap

Postby rdrphsh72 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:09 am

I can agree on The Cap'n although Burress in Oaktown (does he still own a CWP) not a good fit, I'd rather them go after the retiring Driver from GB. As far as the OT from NY it could work although I hope to see more of TP than CP next year.

rdrphsh72
Rookie
Rookie
Highscores: 0

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum