AFC West Notes: Tony Sparano in Oakland?

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

AFC West Notes: Tony Sparano in Oakland?

Postby Tenebrous » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:38 pm

Former Miami Dolphins head coach and former New York Jets’ offensive coordinator Tony Sparano is a potential offensive line coaching candidate in Oakland. He interviewed for the same job in Kansas City, but new Chiefs’ coach Andy Reid hired Andy Heck instead.

I think Sparano would be a good addition to the Oakland Raiders staff because of his experience. He also has a good track record as an offensive line coach. Oakland is also looking for a linebackers coach.

Meanwhile, Juan Castillo joined the Baltimore Ravens staff. Oakland interviewed him for its open offensive line coaching job.

The San Diego Chargers made the hiring of quarterbacks coach Frank Reich official. U-T San Diego reports tight ends coach Jason Michael is being retained, but offensive line coach Hal Hunter was dismissed. They are also changing their strength and conditioning coaching staff.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 0

Re: AFC West Notes: Tony Sparano in Oakland?

Postby 790thSFS » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:29 pm

from hc, to oc, to olc, wow!

790thSFS
The Mercs
The Mercs
Medals: 1

Postby Tenebrous » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:01 pm

RAIDERS wrote:from hc, to oc, to olc, wow!

To be honest, if this does happen - it is likely the best coaching move the Raiders have made besides April in ST. From what I have read about him just briefly, he is a power-line ardent, he will fit in with DMC. So, this is finally something that does not smell really bad.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby R8ers4evr » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:20 pm

In my opinion this would be a great move.... He got his HC gig by being a great motivator and OL coach... He was OL coach in Dallas before being HC at dolphins. although it does help that the GM (ireland) was from Dallas and liked him... But he is credited for Doug free... He is a starting OL player on Dallas. Udfa if I'm not mistaken that sparano really liked and developed him... So id like this hiring... And when the jets hired him as OC... I believe it was his first time ever being an OC... So u can't totally blame him.. His specialty is OL.. Lets get him!

Im a thinker. Im always right. Im all that matters. Then i woke up and realized im not a girl.

R8ers4evr
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby Tenebrous » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:39 pm

R8ers4evr wrote:In my opinion this would be a great move.... He got his HC gig by being a great motivator and OL coach... He was OL coach in Dallas before being HC at dolphins. although it does help that the GM (ireland) was from Dallas and liked him... But he is credited for Doug free... He is a starting OL player on Dallas. Udfa if I'm not mistaken that sparano really liked and developed him... So id like this hiring... And when the jets hired him as OC... I believe it was his first time ever being an OC... So u can't totally blame him.. His specialty is OL.. Lets get him!

From what I read about him - it seems the Jets tried what RM & DA did in reverse. Their team is apparently built for the ZBS scheme, but inexplicably they changed to power under Sporano with less than stellar results. Some, among Jet fans, really wanted Knapp to bring them back to ZBS.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby DeadRinger » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:59 am

Alright so with the obvious move back to power blocking, what do we do with the $20M piece of shit RG Reggie signed for us?

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby Tenebrous » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:28 pm

DeadRinger wrote:Alright so with the obvious move back to power blocking, what do we do with the $20M piece of shit RG Reggie signed for us?

I do not believe he was actually hired - yet. So far, it was just an interview. However, it would seem like a good move for McFadden and the team, but as you noted previously what about the zone guys on the team? What about the team's number one pick last season, how will he adjust to power - will he? Also, how does Sporano fit in with Olson? Olson likes to switch between zone and power, but Sporano seems to be a power guy.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby snakebuck » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:36 pm

He signed now.

PEACE RAIDER NATION!

snakebuck
All-Pro
All-Pro

Re: AFC West Notes: Tony Sparano Going to Oakland?

Postby 790thSFS » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:43 pm

Report: Tony Sparano to coach Oakland Raiders' O-line

The Oakland Raiders reportedly have hired Tony Sparano as assistant head coach/offensive line coach, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter

Sparano was fired after one year as offensive coordinator of the New York Jets. His offense ranked No. 30 in the NFL. Sparano reportedly was scheduled to interview with the Chiefs on Jan. 14 and talk with several teams about their offensive line coach position.

Sparano was the Miami Dolphins' coach for four years before being fired in 2011. The Dolphins went 29-32 in four years and regressed from 11-5 in 2008 to 4-9 in 2011.

NFL Honors

Vote for the top 10 plays of the 2012 season. More ...
Sparano has big-time experience, whether it was successful or not. Having him on the Raiders staff to direct the offensive line should bring valued knowledge to the room without the pressure of having him in a larger decision-making role.

The Raiders obviously are trying to improve a run offense that ranked No. 28 despite featuring Darren McFadden, one of the most talented backs in the league. Offensive coordinator Greg Knapp was fired after one season and his zone-blocking scheme will go with him. Newly-hired coordinator Greg Olson will install a power running game that's familiar to Sparano.

790thSFS
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby bigboy3333 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:49 pm

Great move....

Sell the Fucking team Mark Davis!!

bigboy3333
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 2

Next

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum