Al Saunders to call plays at Senior Bowl

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Al Saunders to call plays at Senior Bowl

Postby blazin1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:49 pm

The Oakland Raiders announced over the weekend that they had hired Greg Olson, former quarterbacks coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars, as the new offensive coordinator for the team. However, despite being announced to the coaching staff and traveling to be with the team in Alabama for the Senior Bowl, it will be Al Saunders, and not the new offensive coordinator who will becalling the plays during the game.

This is not an incredibly surprising decision since Olson was announced just days before the beginning of practice for the game. While Olson has been an offensive coordinator before, he was not one in his most recent stop, so he likely does not have a playbook ready to use.

In addition, it is likely Dennis Allen will want to have more say in how the Raiders offense is run next season. After allowing Greg Knapp total control over the offense in 2012, the second year head coach likely realized that he is going to need to play a much bigger role on the side of the ball that does not come naturally to him.

While it is true that Olson could have worked off of the playbook the Raiders already have and that Al Saunders will be working off of, that may not have been the best idea for the Raiders. By relieving Olson of his in game duties, he has more time free to work with Allen on the offense the Raiders will actually be deploying in 2013.

LINK: http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2013 ... enior-bowl

You don't adjust, you just dominate.

blazin1
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 90

Re: Al Saunders to call plays at Senior Bowl

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:55 pm

This is great. Now show me an article titled "Al Saunders to call plays for Raiders offense in 2013" and I might actually smile.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Highscores: 0
Medals: 1

Postby blazin1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:59 pm

DeadRinger wrote:This is great. Now show me an article titled "Al Saunders to call plays for Raiders offense in 2013" and I might actually smile.

The Raiders are probably going to demote him during the game.

You don't adjust, you just dominate.

blazin1
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 90

Postby Tenebrous » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:16 pm

DeadRinger wrote:This is great. Now show me an article titled "Al Saunders to call plays for Raiders offense in 2013" and I might actually smile.

+1

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby Tenebrous » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:59 pm

blazin1 wrote:

The Raiders are probably going to demote him during the game.

Yeah, the Raiders seem to keep taking their most experienced & arguably best coach for granted.

Last bumped by blazin1 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:59 pm.
Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum