Oakland Raiders hire new offensive coordinator

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Oakland Raiders hire new offensive coordinator

Postby blazin1 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:13 am

The Raiders on Friday hired Greg Olson to be their offensive coordinator, a person familiar with the situation said.

Olson spent last season as the assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars. He replaces Greg Knapp in Oakland and will work under coach Dennis Allen.

Olson has six years' experience as an offensive coordinator in the NFL, including three with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, from 2009-11. During that time, Olson was credited with the rapid development of quarterback Josh Freeman into one of the league's more promising players.

It's also worth noting that Olson favors a power-blocking scheme, which means the zone-blocking scheme favored by Knapp and fired offensive-line coach Frank Pollack are gone after one season.

That should help jump-start running back Darren McFadden, who averaged only 3.3 yards per carry in 2012 and never looked comfortable in the scheme.

Rams running back Steven Jackson had his best season in 2006 with Olson as his offensive coordinator.

Olson also worked with Drew Brees when both were at Purdue and Olson was the quarterbacks coach.

Allen hired Olson after a lengthy and thorough search that included interviews with numerous high-profile candidates. In the end, Allen felt as if Olson was the best fit.

LINK: http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_2 ... oordinator

You don't adjust, you just dominate.

blazin1
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 90

Re: Oakland Raiders hire new offensive coordinator

Postby Tenebrous » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:17 pm

Not too excited, but not terribly disappointed either - it seems this was the best the Raiders could hope for - though I wonder why they did not look at Saunders, or if they did, why not Saunders?

Regardless, there was no way a serious OC, who put in his time in the league, would consider working under a failed first time HC who was just a first time DC the year before (under a defensive coach). However, apparently, he favors the power scheme which seems to favor the team so that is something. In the end, I expect a better season, but, after last season's mess it would be hard to do worse. Now the Raiders need a solid OL coach and they need to find power blockers as opposed to the smaller line favored by ZBS - what a mess. Again, this could have all been avoided which makes this mess all the more unpleasant.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 0

Postby DeadRinger » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:02 pm

I don't even know what to say. I fucking give up. This team is shit.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Medals: 1

Postby DeadRinger » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:12 pm

Let me tell you something, the players who know they will be here next season are freaking out right now. After all they went through last season, only to be slapped in the face with this colossal loser. It has to be the most frustrating thing in the world for them. There's no fucking way DA is going to get 100% out of ANY of these guys next season. Someone like Saunders or Martz may have been able to motivate the hell out of the offensive guys. But this... This is un fucking bearable.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby blazin1 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:12 pm

DeadRinger wrote:Let me tell you something, the players who know they will be here next season are freaking out right now. After all they went through last season, only to be slapped in the face with this colossal loser. It has to be the most frustrating thing in the world for them. There's no fucking way DA is going to get 100% out of ANY of these guys next season. Someone like Saunders or Martz may have been able to motivate the hell out of the offensive guys. But this... This is un fucking bearable.

I bet the Raiders players are freaking out when all the other AFC West teams are going to get better. The Raiders management is terrible, and people should be held accountable.

You don't adjust, you just dominate.

blazin1
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 90

Postby Tenebrous » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:04 pm

DeadRinger wrote:Let me tell you something, the players who know they will be here next season are freaking out right now. After all they went through last season, only to be slapped in the face with this colossal loser. It has to be the most frustrating thing in the world for them. There's no fucking way DA is going to get 100% out of ANY of these guys next season. Someone like Saunders or Martz may have been able to motivate the hell out of the offensive guys. But this... This is un fucking bearable.

Yeah, I am not sure how much respect DA has in the locker-room right now. What has he actually accomplished in the NFL to warrant trust after last season?

With respect to the current OC situation, I have no problem with Saunders - indeed that would have been a solid choice, considering the circumstances - but, I cannot help but feel the Raiders made the right choice in not going for Martz. Maybe you're right about Martz, but my gut tells me otherwise.

EDIT: Just read some more on Olson, maybe Martz would have been better after all. SMH.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby blancanieve » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:29 am

Tenebrous wrote:

Yeah, I am not sure how much respect DA has in the locker-room right now. What has he actually accomplished in the NFL to warrant trust after last season?

With respect to the current OC situation, I have no problem with Saunders - indeed that would have been a solid choice, considering the circumstances - but, I cannot help but feel the Raiders made the right choice in not going for Martz. Maybe you're right about Martz, but my gut tells me otherwise.

EDIT: Just read some more on Olson, maybe Martz would have been better after all. SMH.

I don't know much about Olson but lets see what he can do cause at the end of the you need talent to be successful and this team has talent on offense now lets go and hire Wiz to coach up the O'line and Romo to coach up the Lb's.

blancanieve
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby blancanieve » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:36 am

Breaking news: Raiders hire seasoned, well-regarded offensive coordinator

By Steve Corkran
Friday, January 18th, 2013 at 11:04 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders on Friday hired Greg Olson to be their offensive coordinator, a person familiar with the situation confirmed Friday night.
Olson spent last season as the assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars. He replaces Greg Knapp in Oakland and will work under coach Dennis Allen.
Olson has six years’ experience as an offensive coordinator in the NFL, including three with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, from 2009-11. He also had one year in that capacity with the Detroit Lions and two with the St. Louis Rams.
During that time, Olson was credited with the rapid development of Buccaneers quarterback Josh Freeman into one of the league’s more promising players and for getting the most out of the Rams skill position players.
In 2006, the Rams became only the fourth team in NFL history with a 4,000-yard passer (Marc Bulger), 1,500-yard rusher (Steven Jackson) and two 1,000-yard receivers (Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce).
It’s also worth noting that Olson favors a power-blocking scheme, which means the zone-blocking scheme favored by Knapp and fired offensive line coach Frank Pollack are gone after one season.
That should help jump-start running back Darren McFadden, who averaged only 3.3 yards per carry in 2012 and never looked comfortable in the scheme.
Jackson had his best season in 2006, when Olson was his offensive coordinator.
Olson also worked with Drew Brees when both were at Purdue and Olson was the quarterbacks coach and coached under Jon Gruden, when both were with the Buccaneers.
Allen hired Olson after a lengthy and thorough search that included interviews with numerous high-profile candidates. In the end, Allen felt as if Olson is the best fit.
Many in league circles speak highly of Olson and say he’s a bright offensive coach. It’s conceivable that Olson will join the Raiders in time to help the coaching staff work the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., next week.
No word yet from the Raiders on when Olson will be introduced as their offensive coordinator.

blancanieve
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby snakebuck » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:19 am

I don't understand why Saunders continues to get screwed by this team. What makes him stay with this team? Pretty disrespectful if you ask me.

PEACE RAIDER NATION!

snakebuck
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby DeadRinger » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:24 pm

WELL REGARDED??!? Well fucking regarded?? By whom?

Go ask any Bucs fan how well they regard Greg Olson. You'll get a fucking earful. They sound like we did when SD hired Norv. They're laughing their asses off at us.

Go take a look at the rank of each of Olson's offenses where he was OC. Never once in this loser's OC career has his team made the playoffs. Not fucking once. STL had a good offense in 2006 but went 8-8. SIX seasons as OC and only ONE winning season. NO playoffs. I can't even write out this idiot's W/L percentage as OC because it's so fucking DEPRESSING!!

FACTS: Reggie's a loser. DA's a loser. Knapp's a loser. Olson's a loser. Jury's out on Tarver but it ain't looking good. How many fucking losers do we have to hire, ALWAYS saying "let's just see what he can do," before we figure out how to import success into this broken-ass organization?!? Why don't we just hire ME? Then you can all just kick back again and say "well let's just see what he an do." I'll bank a couple mil and move on.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Next

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum