Mayock and Gruden have rocked FA

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Mayock and Gruden have rocked FA

Postby DeadRinger » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:37 am

As usual during the offseason I put together a little powerpoint graphic for myself showing all our projected starters and backups on both sides of the ball. And as usual, seeing it all laid out visually reveals a lot to me.

Our strongest units look to be:

1. Defensive backfield. Assuming starters are Conley/Worley and Joyner/Joseph, we're set pretty nicely, and with backups like Nelson, Lawson and Harris we're doing just fine. We should see good play throughout the year with some clutch stuff in the mix and a handful of "holy shit" plays.

2. O-line. We should be mauling motherfuckers out there. Trent Brown is a fucking mountain. Assuming we move Gabe back to LG like we should, running to the left side behind Brown/Gabe/Hudson should be our bread & butter. Those guys should be able to wipe out half a defense all by themselves. Pass game somewhat hinges on Miller sinking his teeth into the RT spot, but we have some decent depth to patch that spot up.

A surprise to me is the LB crops, which looks only below average to average now - as opposed to atrocious before we signed Burfict and Marshall. Barring season-ending injury for one or both of those guys, we have 3 serviceable guys in Whitehead, Lee and Morrow (all of whom got average PFF grades last season) who can platoon and keep the unit going. There is nothing remotely great anywhere here, but it approaches stout. I'll call it semi-stout, and if either of the young guys can turn a corner in 2019 we might actually see our LBs do something good every now and then.

Areas that don't particularly impress me OR or depress me are d-line and RBs. We've added a little bit of talent (I like the Alex Barrett signing at DE) but we need some serious rookies in both these areas. We need to spend 1-2 of our first 4 picks on the DL and 1 on a RB. IF we don't draft a RB then we likely bring Warren onto the 53-man roster and go to war with Crowell/Richard/Warren. That's not going to strike much fear into anyone's heart, but it's not as bad as what the Lions and Packers have been putting out there for years.

Here's what terrifies me:

1. TE. We have nothing but a solid blocker who gets open every now and then and a bunch of dog shit. We MUST draft one fo the top 3 TEs or trade for a top-15 TE in this league. TE is especially important because the second thing that terrifies me is:

2. WR. Guys, beyond AB and Tyrell Williams we have precisely shit. Ateman can't run a route to save his life, and couldn't separate even if he figured it out. JJ Nelson can separate but can't catch. Ryan Grant is pretty much Seth Roberts.

Seeing everything laid out like this, our MUST HAVES in the draft look like this in terms of priority:

1. Pass rush (2)
2. TE
3. WR
4. LB or RB

I would probably say LB over RB because we have both Marshall and Burfict for only 1 year, and the fuckin LB cupboard is bare in 2020.

Mayock has to make damn sure we come away with a damn fine player at every one of those positions. And if we don't, he has to find them somewhere else.

However, the draft being what it is this season, I would SERIOUSLY consider the following:

#4: Quinnen Williams (ONLY if Joah Allen is off the board - I am assuming he and Bosa will both be gone)
#24: Hockensen or Fant
#27: Marquise Brown
Rd2: Jaylon Ferguson

Then go after the best RB or LB in the 4th, depending on what the board looks like. if there's one close consider trading up into the 3rd to get the guy we really want.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Highscores: 0
Medals: 1

Re: Mayock and Gruden have rocked FA

Postby FreddieB25 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:00 am

Only problem with everything you just stated is we still have the Carr-bage behind center. Time to put up or shut up with this kid.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby DeadRinger » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:39 pm

FreddieB25 wrote:Only problem with everything you just stated is we still have the Carr-bage behind center. Time to put up or shut up with this kid.

Yep

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Medals: 1

Postby FreddieB25 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:55 pm

Heard there's a vid of Gru-Cock wrestling in a bubble bath that turned into Gru hog tying the May cock and mounting him twisting his ears yelling squeal like a pig boy! Squeal like a pig boy!!! Maycock hasn't been able to sit in a chair for two weeks and is on crutches.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby piratepride » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:08 pm

Great read Dead and well written.
As much as I love Marquise Brown, his Achilles tear scares me. Have you guys ever had it happen to you before and will he be able to come back good as new?
If so, this guy is going to be the next Tyreek Hill, and pairing him with his cousin Antonio Brown may be fireworks. Putting him in the slot will make defenses respect all 3 of our WR's, and open up the short little dump offs or shots down the seam to our TE.

piratepride
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby silver & black » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:13 pm

You guys are more optimistic than I am. I'm not a believer in Gruden. He's a one dimensional coach. All he cares about is offense. I NEVER wanted him back. I'm 51 years a Raiders fan............ you have no idea how much I hope I'm wrong about him.

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

Postby silver & black » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:16 pm

You guys are more optimistic than I am. I'm not a believer in Gruden. He's a one dimensional coach. All he cares about is offense. I NEVER wanted him back. I'm 51 years a Raiders fan............ you have no idea how much I hope I'm wrong about him.

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

Postby piratepride » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Grudens offense has evolved if you ask me. I was watching him back when we were really humming and it was a sight of beauty. The last go around he was a little too conservative, but he's opened it up a little bit and handed Carr audible authority.
Carr produced some of his best numbers to date last year and he's shown his opening script was one of the best last season.
So why the hell did we lose all our games lol????
Too much shit went on to go over again and its painful to list and talk about honesty.
I'm going to just say that IMO, Gruden proved he can still game plan with the best of them, get his QB to learn and make adjustments in his offense, and handle an NFL team. How he kept the team playing down the stretch is well beyond me, just go listen to our last game vs Denver on YouTube, Gruden makes me want to strap a helmet on. Take CJ Anderson ( RB we cut) he was speaking very highly of Gruden even after they cut his ass when he didn't have to.
Unlike all the sports broadcasters opinions, coach Gruden still can run a team.
While I hated the Mack trade, the analysts are giving him his credit now after finally seeing the big picture.
Let's give him a little credit and see what happens

piratepride
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby FreddieB25 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:18 pm

We dumped games on purpose to get a top 5 pick. We averaged 18 pts a game, 28th of the 32 teams. Don't care how fluent our offense looked at times. The season was a fuckin damn disgrace, another double digit loss season. Wasn't impressed with anything, wasted season yet again. It's hard being a fan of a garbage franchise like this. An embarrassment even acknowledging this as a professional organization. All the bullshit, hype, optimism, reminiscing on the the past glory, players buying in, this that and the other bullshit bill of goods we've been sold and we have ONE winning season in the last decade and a half, ONE!!! and ONE bullshit playoff appearance, which we got blown out. I feel bad mostly for the real fans in Oakland, spending hard earned money on a bullshit product for that time. Not the gangbanger asswipes sporting the colors acting like savages, but the real fans in Oakland who remember the 60's and 70's Raiders. Franchise has been a fuckin disgrace on every level imaginable.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby piratepride » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:16 pm

Last season's team looked a lot different then our teams of old.
All the old teams would have had a million penalties, gassed out in the 3rd qtr or quit after halftime.
Gruden's team looked and played confident and kept most games respectable. We hung in there right to the end in our season's opener against the Rams. With all of our short comings and lack of pass rush, we hung in there with the mighty Rams, beat a damn good Pittsburgh team and beat Denver at home.
I'm not thinking 12-4 next year, just saying let's give him this year and see what happens. If they draft a rookie QB within the first two rounds I'll be in the same boat you are Freddie.
If they stink it up and get a top 4 pick again I'll be leading the charge for Carr's replacement.
Until then, I'm going to hope Carr feels the pressure and gets back to his 2016 form.
He'll have a healthy O line, great WRs, and pressure to produce in year 2.

piratepride
The Mercs
The Mercs

Next

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum