Vontaze Burfict signed to 1 year deal.

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Re: Vontaze Burfict signed to 1 year deal.

Postby DeadRinger » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:29 pm

If Josh Allen is not there for us I think maybe we pick Quinnen Williams to bust up the middle for us with #4 pick and then take the best edge guy at 24. I don't know if that would be a guy like Polite or someone better like Burns... I think Burns is the last of the "blue chip" edge guys, so we might need to package up our 4th to move up a couple spots from #24 to get him.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Highscores: 0
Medals: 1

Postby FreddieB25 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:35 pm

Gruden being an O first coach and the league is all about offense do we really foresee Gruden drafting a stud on defense with a 1st round pick and if the player or players are lights out we're going to be in the same spot after three or four years, a defensive player or players wanting 15 to 20 mill per and we either pay it or trade like we did Mack. What is the biggest contract New England has given out to a defensive player the last ten or twelve years? Whatever they've been doing their defenses are always formidable, not great but they seemingly keep the Pats in many games. NE rarely gets blown out and they don't give up 27 or more points all that often within reason.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby FreddieB25 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:45 pm

Since the 2008 season including playoffs which is 199 games NE has given up 19.7 pts per game. Not a great number but a solid number considering todays offensive driven modern NFL.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby piratepride » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:53 pm

All this is assuming Kyler Murray goes number one, which I'm pretty sure he will be.
If not, we may have to trade down or reach for Devin White. Teams not high 9n Clelin Ferrell anymore for some reason.

piratepride
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby FreddieB25 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:07 pm

Kyler Murray is garbage. Too small for the nfl.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby piratepride » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:42 pm

Agreed on Murray, but the new head coach has a man crush on him.

piratepride
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby FreddieB25 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:59 pm

Gruden probably does to. These talking heads and football execs killing for another Russell Wilson type black qb. Opens up another demographic to your franchise when you have a black qb balling and winning games. I've met black guys who have hated Dallas for forty years but they'll root for Dak Prescott. Same applied to Kaepernick, Vick, McNair, Cam Newton and the list goes on. Jersey sales and tv exposure/ratings go way up when a black qb is balling because it doesn't happen frequently or consistently aside from a few.QB is the only position in the NFL that blacks haven't dominated on a large scale. They want to have a black qb,black coach and black GM tearing it up for the same franchise at the same time. It will probably never happen.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby silver & black » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:08 pm

The more I think about this without any type of moral bias, the more I like the signing. Yea, Burfict is not a "nice" player..... which is why I think this will work.... and why I think Gruden knows what he's doing.

Burfict would have fit right in with Townsend, Alzado, Atkinson, Tatum, Villapiano, Hendricks. He's an old school football player. I know you can't play that way anymore, but this team needs that attitude back. I think Gruden understands what it means/is to be the Raiders. Burfict will, I hope, kind of tow the line under Gruden. I'm sure there will be something that happens during a 16 game season with him, but I also think the leadership and attitude that he will bring to the defense will offset that.

I'm actually looking forward to watching him be what he was born to be.............. a Raider. Now, we just have to sign Suh!

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

Postby FreddieB25 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:23 pm

Burfict could be a nice fit if he makes it out of preseason which he should because we're thin at LB. My only concern is his stupid penalties which could arise at inopportune times in games when we need a stop late in a tight game and his stupidity is prolonging drives for our opponent. The refs who have had a neg bias towards us forever will be looking to magnify anything he does to fuck us over in big spots. No doubt about that.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby silver & black » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:46 pm

I know Freddie. It's going to happen. I still think bringing him in is part of bringing back the Raider attitude that this team has lost over the years. I think it offsets the penalties that are a given with him. I think Gruden knows this too.

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

PreviousNext

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum