Several things I see so far

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Several things I see so far

Postby DeadRinger » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:00 am

Our backup QBs suck. Manuel has to be #2 just because he sucks least and he’s more willing to run. If we have to rely on Cook for anything, I project a 100% loss rate with him under center.

Our passing game doesn’t look great in preseason but’s that’s because we don’t play our starters. We will see WRs step up as soon as Carr is the guy throwing smart and accurate balls. It will be night and day. I am not as concerned after the GB game as I was previously.

Run game looks very strong, HOWEVER, it can be better. We need to mix in a lot more outside runs. We jam it up the middle probably 85% of the time, and with the personnel we have it should be more like 60%. We will get much better results both ways of we work the run around more.

There’s not a damn thing wrong w Kolton Miller. He’s doing a fine job at LT, and we may very well see him start there week 1. He has plenty to learn. He’s not as good as Penn was at his peak, but in my opinion he’s damn close to what we could have expected from a healthy Penn this season. And he’s only going to get better. Good solid draft pick right there.

Our DL looks very stout. I have no reason to complain. Those rooks are just beasts man. Not one of the 3 has any quit in him. Key needs better conditioning, he got really winded pretty fast, but that will come with time. Hall is a fucking machine. Reminds me of a pile driver, just hammering away play after play after play, not giving a shit if he’s going up against guys who are supposed to be the best in the world. He doesn’t give a DAMN. I honestly couldn’t be much happier about our DL going into the season, Mack or no Mack. Trade that fucker for someone like Antonio Brown and let’s get on with life.

Now on to our secondary. Commentators want to talk about how well they’re playing. But they’re playing against scrubs. Sure they’re covering. Against fucking Hundley and nobody receivers. Beware false hope on this front. I have a bad feeling about this unit, and it’s just not going away. HOWEVER, I have some hope based on the play of our DL and our ability to pressure the QB.

Warren MUST be on this team. I don’t give a fuck what it takes. Cut Mack to make room for him, I don’t care. Has anyone noticed this kid NEVER looks tired?? He’s never even breathing hard out there. He’s a must-have.

Penalties man. Fucking penalties. I watch GB holding our DLs and refs don’t give a shit. And they call phantom hold a on us like they’re free. Makes me fucking sick.

Big concern is depth at QB, C, OT, CB, LB, TE. Scary how tin we are on both sides of the ball.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Highscores: 0
Medals: 1

Re: Several things I see so far

Postby FreddieB25 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:00 am

Penalties will kill us like they do every year and for decades. I hope we retain Chris Warren and cut Doug Martin and keep both Deandre Washington and Jalen Richards. I could just imagine this defense with Mack in there.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby DeadRinger » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:13 pm

With Mack, our defensive backfield should actually prove adequate. With Mack, our defense has the potential to be above average.

If we stood him up at OLB where he belongs, this defense could be very interesting to watch.

Stashing a guy with that kind of sideline-to-sideline talent, that kind of heat-seeking run defense, that kind of instinctive picking-through-the-trash talent, at hand-down DE is like tying one arm behind his back. He should be terrifying entire offenses out there.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Medals: 1

Postby piratepride » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:46 pm

Good analysis Dead, I wish I was sitting in front of my computer to take the time to go over each in every phase you mentioned the way it deserves, but I'm lazy.
My phone and all it's typos will have to work...I apologize in advance.

I pretty much agree with everything you mentioned but wanted to put my twist on it.

Carr- I'm ok with him getting limited touches, it means Gruden saw enough in pre season and also means he'll be healthy week 1.
My guess is he's very much in sync with Cooper, Jordy, Marshawn and company and Gruden doesn't want to tip his hand and show his plays.
Run game- Anyone else see that long ass run by a speedy version of Lynch that got called back versus the Lions?
It was one a like 2 outside zone run plays that worked everytime we called it. I think the is only showing a quarter of what they'll run in 2 weeks.

Kolton Miller- I was pissed we took him at first but he's looked dominant in the run game and ok in pass pro. Hell get better as the year goes on, and now that we see how overweight Penn looks, glad we have him on the team and starting.
D line- I found myself giddy watching our future D lineman wreak havoc on the same field at the same time. They're better pass rushers than they are run blockers at this stage. Not good when we have Gurley coming to town in 2 short weeks.
When Jelly/ Mario Edwards Jr took the field there was a noticeable improvement in run D, so not sure what our starting 4 look like.

Pass defense- Gruden really likes Erik Harris, he may start in place of Karl Joseph, but I'm not sure what to make of this unit.

piratepride
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby TheMadStork » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:41 am

Warren looks better than Martin. Id be starting him behind Lynch and keep Martin around till Washington is back and then cut Martin. He's def lost a step.

TheMadStork
Rookie
Rookie

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum