PJ Hall

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

PJ Hall

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:28 am

So I'm looking at Hall a little bit and I think we all know about the negatives around the kid - undersized, small school, etc., so I'm going to focus on some good things I'm seeing. Don't let this comparison shock you, but I have to say i see a bit of Aaron Donald in him.

Yeah, Hall played against lesser competition, but he's also just a little bigger and stronger than Donald. He weighs 18 lbs more and had 2 or 3 more bench reps than Donald. and they're both about 6'1".

BUT....

Here's the HUGE difference: Donald posted a 32" vertical at his combine. Hall's vertical was 38". That's a pretty damn big difference, and tells me Hall's a really athletic kid. And that vert showed itself because this fucker blocked FOURTEEN kicks in college.

Donald ran a 4.68 40. i think Hall was something like 4.72 or thereabouts, which is damn close and explained away by the extra 18 lbs. neither of them have good arm length - I'm not sure what Hall's arms are, but Donald's are only 32"... Physically, they're pretty similar players.

So a lot like Kolton Miller, it looks to me like it was Hall's Combine workout that shot him up the Raiders board. Also, it seems Hall had a semi-spectacular showing at the Senior Bowl, which helped dispel concerns about how he'd fare against superior competition.

That's not to say it's all about the physical with Hall, because he pretty much won just about everything there is to win in the FCS. All-American FCS in both his junior and senior years, finalist for the DPOY in 2016. FORTY-TWO fucking sacks from the interior. Best I can tell, he NEVER MISSED A GAME in college. So he was a prolific player by all standards.

I'm NOT saying Hall is the next Donald. Could he be? Stranger things have happened. He has the physical tools adn he seems to have the will, but we all know you need more than that to do what Donald does, and guys like that are usually generational.

Here's what I AM saying: 1) There are some legit reasons why Gruden and Reggie may have reached for this kid and 2) he could easily turn out to be a better cog for us than any of us expect him to be - and could most definitely be highly productive, whether he's a full-time starter or not, in 2018.

Last edited by DeadRinger on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Highscores: 0
Medals: 1

Re: PJ Hall

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:36 am

2018 PRO DAY RECAP: One long time analyst said Hall's Pro Day performance at Sam Houston State's on-campus event may have been the most impressive ever by a non-combine defensive lineman. Hall tore his way through 36 reps, but ran a 4.71-second time in the 40-yard dash.

Folks, he's a 310-pound defensive tackle. He's always been a bowling ball in the FCS, racking up so many blocked kicks on special teams that he's near the top of the all-time record book (and hey, special teams never hurts when you're trying to make an NFL roster, right?).

Hall also hit 38 inches on his vertical jump and 9-foot-8 on the broad jump in front of 20 scouts. He should be a day three lock, at least.

APRIL PLANS: P.J.'s list of reported team contact is as following: Minnesota, New England, Oakland, Philadelphia and Tampa Bay.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:41 am

Oh yeah.

86.5 TFL in college as well.

Shit.

i don't care where you play, production like that just isn't easy to rack up. You have to have a CONSTANT motor, and you have to play at the highest possible level every single snap.

Could we have gotten him with the pick we used on Key? Almost certainly, or if we were scared he wouldn't be there we could have packaged up some other picks to move up earlier in the 3rd - and had Josh Jackson in the 2nd. The draft was botched. No 2 ways about it. But I'm liking this kid.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby FreddieB25 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:46 pm

Well we need four or five of these draftees to be diamonds in the rough and to contribute this season. We need Conley, Karl Joseph and Obi to step up this season. With Gruden and his coaches if that plays out maybe we have a surprising season..

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby piratepride » Tue May 01, 2018 6:19 am

Great analysis Dead, with plenty of stats to back it up. When I first heard about the selection I was pissed, still am unsure but have done a little digging and have some expectations for the kid. He along with Mo Hurst should provide enough juice to free up Mack from time to time.
I've been watching the NFL's top 100 and watching the highlight of Bruce Irvin....you can't help but notice Mack's triple team against Washington. We desperately need some speed up the gut, I think we're all hoping this year we finally get it.
I'm excited about the kid Marcel Ateman WR from the 7th round.
Looks like he is pretty polished tree in the mold of Vincent Jackson/ Andre Holmes ( body type). Understands routes and has a high completion rate, his stats jump out at you ( NFL.com player analysis).
Everybody should go check it out, very deep and has a shit ton of stats.

piratepride
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby TheMadStork » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:47 am

While drafts come and go and there are surprises on the upside and down, Chucky is back and we may have had a whole new way of doing things. Lets hope and pray it shows up in this year's draft.

Vanderdump was ineffective and Fester not much better on the DL last year, waste of 2 picks and with Obi and Conley producing 0, we got what we had last year.

Only Conley will be on this roster next year out of the 4 IMHO.

TheMadStork
Rookie
Rookie

Postby silver & black » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:32 pm

FreddieB25 wrote:Well we need four or five of these draftees to be diamonds in the rough and to contribute this season. We need Conley, Karl Joseph and Obi to step up this season. With Gruden and his coaches if that plays out maybe we have a surprising season..

I'm not worried about Conley. I watched his whole cereer at Ohio State... he's the real deal.
I liked the Karl Joseph pick when he was drafted, but I'm starting wonder... we'll see. Same with Obi.

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

Postby FreddieB25 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:28 pm

My thinking about those defensive guys, obi, conley and Joseph and this years defensive draft class is I'd rather Paul Guenther coaching them up and scheming to these guys strengths and obviously calling the defensive plays and packages. That fuckin worthless dumb fuck Ken Norton jr held the defense back through his ineptitude. I expect our defense to be a strong suit by the end of the season.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Forbiddenraider » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:05 pm

Damn right. At least we know who’s calling the plays. That bullshit last year was embarrassing. Norton the clueless ex coke head from the Cowboys & Hack Del Rio. What a fucking pair these two turned out to be. Battle of who’s a shittier coordinator

Forbiddenraider
RF Refugees
RF Refugees

Postby FreddieB25 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:19 pm

If Doug Martin isn't on the juice as well as Weak mode, our offense might be a problem. I expect Gruden obviously calling the O plays finding ways to manufacture points and move the chains. Our red zone offense will be crucial with being able to get touchdowns and not FG attempts. Looking forward to what we look like under Chuckie's tutelage.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum