Report: Concern Derek Carr won't last with Jon Gruden

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Report: Concern Derek Carr won't last with Jon Gruden

Postby bigboy3333 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:08 pm

[b

Jon Gruden hasn't even accepted the Oakland Raiders head coaching job yet, but there is already so much speculation to the point that it will make your head spin.
The most recent report involves the Raiders $125 million quarterback Derek Carr and how he'll potentially mesh with Gruden. While you'd likely envision these two getting along great, and Carr potentially thriving under Gruden, there are apparently reports that serious concern is looming that the exact opposite could happen.
As Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reported, a league source believes that Carr won't be able to put up with Gruden's coaching style for very long.
Per a league source, there’s a real concern that Carr won’t be able to put up with Gruden’s style for very long. Gruden will ride him and needle him and yell at him and criticize him and ride him some more. Carr will have to learn how to deal with that, or Carr won’t last.
There's no question that Gruden has an intense coaching style, which PFT Live co-host Chris Simms explained to Florio, and he broke down in his piece.
“Jon Gruden is not easy to deal with,” PFT Live co-host Chris Simms told me by phone on Thursday. “He’s in your face, he’s blunt, he’s extremely honest. At the same time, he’ll be extra hard on a quarterback if he knows the kid has talent. The quarterback has to remember it’s only because he wants him to be better and knows he can be better. . . . If he wasn’t yelling at you, that’s the bigger concern. It’s all for the greater good. It’s only going to make you a better quarterback.”
But, there's one key takeaway here that's likely getting a bit overlooked, and it's the fact that Florio consistently points to the fact that Carr may not be the one to last with Gruden, not the other way around.
Florio states that "Carr, given the way he's wired, may not make it with Gruden." He also goes on to point to Carr's fumble at the end of the loss to the Dallas Cowboys. Explaining how Gruden would react to it by letting him hear about it in a strong manner, and "if Carr can't take it, Carr won't be long for the Raiders."
Obviously, if the Raiders do wind up paying over $10 million a year to Gruden, as Football Scoop reported, then they'll be fully invested in their new coach and it would make sense that a drastic change could happen if things are clicking between Gruden and his quarterback.[/b]

Just sayin,

Its a fact Gruden loves his Veteran quarterbacks, so I want be Surprise if Carr is traded for Multiple draft picks..and maybe then go after a Vet. QB such as a Kirk cousins/HC Jay Gruden, brother to Jon. Maybe even Alex Smith... which I'm sure is done playing for the Chiefs.

Sell the Fucking team Mark Davis!!

bigboy3333
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 2

Re: Report: Concern Derek Carr won't last with Jon Gruden

Postby silver & black » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:24 pm

Carr isn't a vet QB?

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC
Highscores: 0

Postby FreddieB25 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:28 pm

Carr is a fuckin pussy!!! Fuckin trade him!!! Dude goes from having a nice year last year to looking worse than his rookie year this year. He has no confidence and looks like a guy who stole 125 million dollars until he gets exposed. He was exposed this year. Didn't like his pressers or his demeanor late in games in losses. He has done nothing in this league except have one nice season. He needs to be pushed and put out of his comfort zone to justify his overblown contract. I lost a lot of respect for him this past season on many fronts.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Forbiddenraider » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:32 pm

Carr is a pussy. But Gruden will toughen him up.

Forbiddenraider
RF Refugees
RF Refugees

Postby bigboy3333 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Carr has never had a "demanding, in your face HC like Jon Gruden, Question is... can Carr, the bible thumper handle it ?? I hope he can. I also hear Gruden a big fan of Conner Cook, which he thought should had been a first rounder

Sell the Fucking team Mark Davis!!

bigboy3333
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 2

Postby FreddieB25 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:04 pm

bigboy3333 wrote:Carr has never had a "demanding, in your face HC like Jon Gruden, Question is... can Carr, the bible thumper handle it ?? I hope he can. I also hear Gruden a big fan of Conner Cook, which he thought should had been a first rounder

Good Carr needs healthy competition if Gruden is high on Connor Cook. Carr has had it easy so far with no panic regarding his job taken from him. If Carr wants to be great he needs a Gruden in his face or Gannon if he's QB coach.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby silver & black » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:45 pm

Cook has proven he's a 3rd stringer. You guys are really being overly hard on Carr. He was a fucked up mess this year. If he sucks next year, I'll be with you on getting rid of him.

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

Postby DeadRinger » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:38 am

Jesus Christ, I'd find all this comical if it wasn't so annoying.

Who the fuck actually believes that Carr is some wilting lily Jon's going to crush? The kid's been playing football his entire life. He has already gone through two different HCs in the NFL alone. How the hell could a kid have the kind of success Carr had in college and again here in the pros if he was a mental pussy?

This thought that he can't take tough love because he's a Christian is a joke. I'm a Christian and I can tell you the exact opposite is true. Most Christians are tough-minded, dedicated people who truly understand (as opposed to just saying it) that they will never be perfect and will ALWAYS have room to grow. And that the growth they need can - and will at times - come through unbelievable hardship. When that happens I call it AFGE. Another fucking growth experience.

Gruden is obviously a relatively hard-nosed guy (we've all seen worse), but he's far from what I'd call "unbelievable hardship."

The next point is that this article assumes that Gruden hasn't learned a fucking thing from his stint in TB, and the way things ended there. It assumes he cannot and will not ever change his approach. It has been many years since he coached. He has actually been working a REAL job for years on end, and that requires a wholly different type of interaction with people.

Guys, take a breath. They're all pros. They're all hardcore competitors. They all want to win more than they want to breath. They all know it takes work.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Medals: 1

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum