Oakland Raiders not actively pursuing trade of third overall

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Oakland Raiders not actively pursuing trade of third overall

Postby RF34 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:05 am

ALAMEDA -- Rather than being proactive with the third pick in the NFL draft Thursday, Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie is sitting back and letting the draft come to him.

In a news conference Tuesday, McKenzie said he has been on the phone with potential trade suitors but that he wasn't the one doing the dialing.

"We're just feeling around right now," McKenzie said. "Nothing is concrete ... just peripheral conversations."

A year after there were nine trades involving first-round picks, only the Minnesota Vikings and New York Jets have made moves so far, getting additional first-round selections in exchange for Percy Harvin (to Seattle) and Darrelle Revis (to Tampa Bay).

Having dealt their second-round pick to Cincinnati for Carson Palmer in 2011, the Raiders have been speculated as a potential trade partner for a team looking to move up.

As it stands, the Raiders don't have another pick until the third round, No. 66 overall, after they pick at No. 3.

"We'll do whatever helps the Raiders the most," McKenzie said. "If it's staying there and making the pick, we'll weigh that against what's on the floor. In some cases, the offer may be too good to pass up."

Getting an additional pick or picks would fall in line with McKenzie's philosophy of building from within. Asked about the perception that the Raiders resemble an expansion team given their salary cap situation and roster, McKenzie didn't disagree but said, "To say we're just going to take our lumps and play ball, that's not the goal here. The goal here is to compete and win games."

More observations from McKenzie on the draft and the state of the franchise as he approaches his second draft as general manager:

Quarterback Matt Flynn will begin the first organized team practice sessions as the starter.

The Raiders won't draft for need in the first round. "I think you try and draft the best player, and fill that need down the line," McKenzie said.

Versatility is coveted, but not as much as skill that can make an immediate impact.

"I want to try and get someone here who can change the game," McKenzie said. "If it's a solid, versatile player vs. a difference maker? You take the difference maker."

Fans can soon expect to see a team that matches the philosophy of the front office and coaching staff.

"That's going to be ongoing. It started when I got here," McKenzie said. "When do you start to see its transformation? Hopefully this season. We've had a good offseason and another draft."

Players who might have character issues, such as LSU defensive back Tyrann Mathiew, will be judged case by case.

"You just have to go with your gut, not with all the 'he said, she said' stuff," McKenzie said. "You have all the information in front of you. You talk with him and you go with yea or nay."

The quarterback class might have some hidden gems.

"I don't see Andrew Luck or RG III, (but) guys are beating up this class, and you're going to get some solid quarterbacks," McKenzie said. "We can get spoiled by certain classes. There are going to be some players that surprise you."

RAIDERS PICKS

First round (No. 3); third round (No. 66); fourth round (No. 100); sixth round (Nos. 172, 176, 205); seventh round (No. 209)

http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders ... source=rss

I win!

RF34
MVP
MVP
Highscores: 0

Re: Oakland Raiders not actively pursuing trade of third ove

Postby RF34 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:10 am

Press conference

I win!

RF34
MVP
MVP

Postby RF34 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:21 pm

RaidersCentral ‏@RaiderCentral 19m It's official #OaklandRaiders have made a tenative agreement.To trade down. no other details except its for a middle first & late 2nd round

Image riiiight...

I win!

RF34
MVP
MVP

Postby DeadRinger » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:57 pm

We trade down 10-14 spots, out of blue chip territory, and all we get is a late 2nd??

I refuse to believe even Reggie is that bad of a GM. I will wait to see what happens tonight.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Medals: 1

Postby Tenebrous » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:14 pm

RF34 wrote:RaidersCentral ‏@RaiderCentral 19m It's official #OaklandRaiders have made a tenative agreement.To trade down. no other details except its for a middle first & late 2nd round

Image riiiigh...

Very interesting. From what I have read, this is not a particularly deep draft, meaning that there seems to be more than the usual difference between upper tier players and mid level players, so depending on how far back the Raiders move, RM should get more for the #3 pick. Nevertheless, if the Raiders only drop down a few spots, one second round pick could be a good trade. However, unless Flynn is Gannon part II, it seems more than likely that RM will simply get the Raiders fleeced again -- as he did with the Palmer and Flynn trades.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby RF34 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:33 pm

And Mike Silver tweets this...

@MikeSilver: Hearing some chatter from multiple NFL sources that the Raiders may be trying to trade down from 3 overall... w/ Browns as possible partner

I win!

RF34
MVP
MVP

Postby Tenebrous » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:39 pm

RF34 wrote:And Mike Silver tweets this...

@MikeSilver: Hearing some chatter from multiple NFL sources that the Raiders may be trying to trade down from 3 overall... w/ Browns as possible partner

Hmm, NFL Network teased that the Raiders & Falcons may be working on a trade.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby RF34 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:42 pm

I hate the days before the draft. We will need to start a draft thread tomorrow so we can all melt down together.

I win!

RF34
MVP
MVP

Postby Tenebrous » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:51 pm

RF34 wrote:I hate the days before the draft. We will need to start a draft thread tomorrow so we can all melt down together.

Lol, yeah definitely -- so many rumors and so many possibilities.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby R8ers4evr » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:59 pm

its common sense they arent "actively" shopping the pick... its like trying to trade mcclain for a 4th round pick a month ago... everybody knew he was gone, so most we'd of gotten was a 7th rounder... if ppl know ur trying to trade down... they might give just a lllllitttle less... and in doing that, costs u time and players in negotiations... u act like its not. then when the top 2 tackles fly off the board, everybody that wants a tackle says oh shit and calls RM with hopefully a big trade to try and get lane johnson... or they quick try and move up for joeckel/fisher whichever is left...

Im a thinker. Im always right. Im all that matters. Then i woke up and realized im not a girl.

R8ers4evr
The Mercs
The Mercs

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum