McKenzie Named PFWA Executive Of The Year

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

McKenzie Named PFWA Executive Of The Year

Postby 790thSFS » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:35 am

ALAMEDA, Calif. – Oakland Raiders General Manager Reggie McKenzie was named NFL Executive of the Year, the Pro Football Writers of America announced Thursday.
McKenzie joins Al Davis, who was named Executive of the Year in 2002, as Raiders who have earned the PFWA honor, which was established in 1993.
In 2016, McKenzie’s fifth year as General Manager, the Raiders posted a 12-4 record and advanced to the postseason for the first time since the 2002 campaign. The Raiders had an NFL-high seven Pro Bowl selections, had two players earn first-team All-Pro recognition and DE Khalil Mack was named PFWA Defensive Player of the Year.
Since being named General Manager by Owner Mark Davis in 2012, four Raiders draft picks have gone on to receive Pro Bowl selections. Mack, the Raiders’ first-round pick in 2014, earned his second straight Pro Bowl nod, while QB Derek Carr, the team’s second-round selection that year, emerged as a Most Valuable Player candidate and has received Pro Bowl invitations in each of the last two seasons. WR Amari Cooper, the team’s first-round pick in 2015, has also earned two Pro Bowl selections after beginning his career with consecutive 1,000-yard receiving campaigns. RB Latavius Murray, a sixth-round pick in 2013, earned a Pro Bowl bid in 2015 and was named an alternate this year.
In addition, 10 players drafted by the Raiders in the fourth round or later since 2013 have started multiple games for the team and six different draft picks have earned All-Rookie honors.
Last offseason, the Raiders signed LB Bruce Irvin, S Reggie Nelson, G/T Kelechi Osemele and CB Sean Smith, securing four of the “top 25 available free agents” according to NFL.com. All seven of the team’s draft picks saw significant action during the season and first-round selection S Karl Joseph was named to the PFWA All-Rookie Team. A remarkable seven undrafted free agents, acquired by the Raiders in the weeks following the 2016 NFL Draft, finished the season on the team’s active roster.

790thSFS
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 0
Medals: 1

Re: McKenzie Named PFWA Executive Of The Year

Postby Forbiddenraider » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:16 pm

Congratulations Reggie! Somebody buy that man a Colt 45! No im seriously happy for Reggie playing all those draft picks. They all played but how about the fact that Dan Williams, Ellis, Ward, Autry, & Stacy McGee are the worst line in the league. We needed a MLB for about 5-6 years now? Still don't have one. With all that cap money we should be pretty good on defense no? Worst in the league stopping the run. Bottom 4 in stopping the pass. Reggie has assembled us a decent to good team with a wealth of riches, high draft picks, tons of cap money to spend & yet somehow we still have the worst D in the league. This is what these ass kissing sports writers won't say about Reggie. Now he's got the 24th pick not top 4 for 5 years in a row do Reggies real evaluation begins now.

Forbiddenraider
RF Refugees
RF Refugees

Postby silver & black » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:35 pm

I agree with everything Forbidden said. I'll just go ahead and say it.... congratulations Reggie. NOW.... put a defense on the field and let's win another fucking Superbowl before I die!

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

Postby FreddieB25 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:13 pm

Reggie drafting Carr, although he slid to him, Cooper...bringing in Crab but mostly signing Hudson,Osomele and Penn frosting on the cake is the unexpected production of Richard and Washington made our 12-4 season. O-line is the anchor of any good offense and it showed this year. Our dee line is below average as well as Norton jr as a coord. Derek Carr's maturity and improved play made this happen for Reggie. We'll never know what this season would have produced in the end when Carr went down. I just know it wouldn't have ended with a dud in Houston and Denver the week before.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Forbiddenraider » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:15 pm

I agree. Reggie did his best work with the O line. And of course Carr making Reggie & Jack look like geniuses. Our biggest problem is this shit fest defense. Now once again we have to go defense and get pass rusher or MLB. Ward was supposed to help but he's a piece of shit. We'll see what he does next year. Mack had something like 11 sacks & the rest of the team had 14 that is fucked. We have a monster superstar guy with Mack and he's being held back by shitty players. Make some moves in free agency & get rid of Hayden, Carrie & those bum LBs. Also getting Aldon Smith back will help given he can stay out of jail. The shit that happened this year with Carr & all the comebacks was great but he can't keep doing that. Norton needs to get his head out of his ass!!

Forbiddenraider
RF Refugees
RF Refugees

Postby piratepride » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:50 pm

Agree also with Forbidden. We would have won in Denver, got the bye, and no doubt would have rolled over Pittsburgh in Oaktown! I've watched lesser Raider teams beat the steelers and with Pryor behind center too! Had Carr been healthy, we'd be playing in NE tomorrow. Makes me sick but what else can you do.
Defense is the way to go. We can't get too carried away thinking about Christian McCaffrey, or OJ Howard TE from Alabama, we need to be thinking MLB or a penetrating DT like you mentioned. I'm expecting to go deep into the playoffs next year, and if we want to continue playing we need a serious defensive makeover. I wouldn't mind drafting a LT in the 3rd or 4th, but we should go defense early and often.

piratepride
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby piratepride » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:56 pm

I think the old man Reggie Nelson played decent enough to warrant him staying for his second year, but I've seen a few mocks where the top 1 or 2 strong safeties fall to us.
The SS from Ohio state is intriguing, or the other dude from LSU who may not be around. I personally think we could be in a bad position at the #24 spot. There's talent at the spots we need, but we may have to reach for an OK player at that spot based on need. We could go for best player available and draft one of the top strong safeties in college and have two very young talented tandems for years to come. Only I like the idea of having at least one experienced guy on the backend.

Time to start doing my research on all these fools.

piratepride
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby piratepride » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:57 pm

You guys should look up Walter football mock drafts..pretty decent info and usually spot on analysis.

piratepride
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby silver & black » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:07 am

I doubt that Malik Hooker will be there when we pick. Too bad, because he's for real. Whoever Reggie and Jack decide to take, it better be a solid pick.

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

Postby FreddieB25 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:37 pm

piratepride wrote:Agree also with Forbidden. We would have won in Denver, got the bye, and no doubt would have rolled over Pittsburgh in Oaktown! I've watched lesser Raider teams beat the steelers and with Pryor behind center too! Had Carr been healthy, we'd be playing in NE tomorrow. Makes me sick but what else can you do.
Defense is the way to go. We can't get too carried away thinking about Christian McCaffrey, or OJ Howard TE from Alabama, we need to be thinking MLB or a penetrating DT like you mentioned. I'm expecting to go deep into the playoffs next year, and if we want to continue playing we need a serious defensive makeover. I wouldn't mind drafting a LT in the 3rd or 4th, but we should go defense early and often.

Many people, football fans think next year the Raiders will be the team to beat in the AFC and a healthy Carr and somehow and most importantly a good solid defense. We have a tough sked next year but unfinished business. Carr will be coming into his prime the next 5 to 7 years..its time for our 4th and 5th Lombardi and beyond by the end of this decade.

FreddieB25
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum