Lechler signs with Texans

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Lechler signs with Texans

Postby Tenebrous » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:19 pm

Lechler exit signals end of an Oakland era

By Bill Williamson | Mar 22, 2013 11:58 PM
In another reminder that the Al Davis era is over, punter Shane Lechler is a former Oakland Raider.

Lechler
Lechler's signing with the Houston Texans is the end of a long, solid run with the franchise.

The Raiders have lost several players this offseason as the new regime tries to control contracts and start fresh. But the reality is that one of the greatest punters ever to play in the NFL is a former Raider.

Lechler was with Oakland since 2000 and was a dominant weapon for the team. Davis paid Lechler a premium because the owner wanted the best at the position.

The Raiders are undergoing a total makeover and decided not to pursue Lechler. It is curious because ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that Lechler signed with Houston for three years for a total of $5.5 million. Davis made Lechler the highest-paid punter in NFL history, at the rate of $4 million a season. This deal is much more reasonable, but the new Oakland brass would still rather spend elsewhere.

Lechler is 36 and coming off an injury. Still, he is a solid player.

Oakland will likely take a long look at the young Marquette King. He was stashed on injured reserve last season after an impressive training camp and preseason. King has a booming leg but is inconsistent. It would be premature to think King will be a suitable replacement for Lechler because it often takes young punters a long time to become solid NFL players. But King does have potential.

It is a new world in Oakland and potential outweighs legacy -- just the way it is for a team in transition

No surprise he is gone. Will miss his leg and consistency.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 0

Re: Lechler signs with Texans

Postby bigboy3333 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:15 am

Shane was a true raider, he will be sorely miss.

Sell the Fucking team Mark Davis!!

bigboy3333
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 2

Postby DeadRinger » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:17 am

I hope he cashed in big. He deserves it. Greatest punter I've ever seen.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Medals: 1

Postby bigboy3333 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:55 pm

DeadRinger wrote:I hope he cashed in big. He deserves it. Greatest punter I've ever seen.

Ray Guy was not that bad either...

Sell the Fucking team Mark Davis!!

bigboy3333
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 2

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:57 am

Guy was the 2nd greatest punter I've ever seen.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby snakebuck » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:11 am

It's sad to see him go, but I'm happy for him. Thanks for being a Raider Shane!

PEACE RAIDER NATION!

snakebuck
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby 790thSFS » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:19 am

WOW! I can't believe Lechler is no longer a Raider! He has been with the team a while.

790thSFS
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby Pridenpoise » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:37 am

Of all the free agents we lost this one hurts the most. I don't think it would be asking to much for Reggie to at least match what the Texans gave Lechler. A lot of people are saying this Marquette king has a big leg ok,can he drop a punt inside the 5 yard line when we need him to. There's more to being a great kicker/punter than just a big leg. The great chemistry between Lechler and Jano will never be duplicated. Thanks Shane your a class act, and a true Raider. And I for one will miss watching wearing the Silver n Black on Sundays.

Pridenpoise
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tenebrous » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:31 am

Pridenpoise wrote:Of all the free agents we lost this one hurts the most. I don't think it would be asking to much for Reggie to at least match what the Texans gave Lechler. A lot of people are saying this Marquette king has a big leg ok,can he drop a punt inside the 5 yard line when we need him to. There's more to being a great kicker/punter than just a big leg. The great chemistry between Lechler and Jano will never be duplicated. Thanks Shane your a class act, and a true Raider. And I for one will miss watching wearing the Silver n Black on Sundays.

Apparently, Shane was never even approached with even the smallest of offers by RM.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby DeadRinger » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:44 am

Pridenpoise wrote:Of all the free agents we lost this one hurts the most. I don't think it would be asking to much for Reggie to at least match what the Texans gave Lechler. A lot of people are saying this Marquette king has a big leg ok,can he drop a punt inside the 5 yard line when we need him to. There's more to being a great kicker/punter than just a big leg. The great chemistry between Lechler and Jano will never be duplicated. Thanks Shane your a class act, and a true Raider. And I for one will miss watching wearing the Silver n Black on Sundays.
Yeah, $5.5M over 3 years is a paltry contract for a guy like Lechler.

Now we get to deal with King's learning curve and hope he reaches his potential.

Reggie should be shot in the head.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum