Salary cap sits at $123 million precisely

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Re: Salary cap sits at $123 million precisely

Postby DeadRinger » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:00 am

The Blackness wrote:I agree w/ part of this statement in the team WILL need that cap space & possibly more due to the lack of player sunder contract.However, RM didn't start this "GROSS organizational mismanagement" good ole Al did.I'm not sayign what RM is doing will get things turned around but I'm willing to wait & see this season & what happens in 2014.Hell, I've waited this long watching AD flush his prize possession down the toilet for years w/ his BS of "retool", overpay, etc for stiffs.
First you acknowledge that we're fucked from a roster standpoint in 2014, then you say Al's the one who mismanaged us into that situation??

I think not.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Highscores: 0
Medals: 1

Postby The Blackness » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:33 pm

DeadRinger wrote:
The Blackness wrote:I agree w/ part of this statement in the team WILL need that cap space & possibly more due to the lack of player sunder contract.However, RM didn't start this "GROSS organizational mismanagement" good ole Al did.I'm not sayign what RM is doing will get things turned around but I'm willing to wait & see this season & what happens in 2014.Hell, I've waited this long watching AD flush his prize possession down the toilet for years w/ his BS of "retool", overpay, etc for stiffs.
First you acknowledge that we're fucked from a roster standpoint in 2014, then you say Al's the one who mismanaged us into that situation??

I think not.

So, your view point is ALL this was due to RM & RM only?Ole AD did no wrong, huh?

When you have had your ass handed to you by a Raider, you've seen The Blackness..

The Blackness
Rookie
Rookie

Postby DeadRinger » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:03 am

The Blackness wrote:
DeadRinger wrote:

I think not.

So, your view point is ALL this was due to RM & RM only?Ole AD did no wrong, huh?
I've acknowledged before that Al failed miserably with a) the coaches he hired and b) first round draft picks.

But he made a lot of good moves as well, and he finally had it wired going into 2012.

THAT'S what Tene and I have been saying this entire time.

So let me give you a perfectly clear answer. YES, this train wreck is all Reggie's doing. The time for blaming Al is long past.

And for all you folks who want to state unequivocally that Reggie just had no choice in any of the cuts and FA losses, I'll point out some things that prove you wrong and some other issues that make me want to puke.

1. We have something like $15M in cap space THIS YEAR. We did NOT have to cut all those players (particularly Huff and DHB) and we most certainly could have re-signed guys like Shaughnessy, Bryant, Myers, etc. if the moves had been properly coordinated and executed. You know... if there was a cohesive PLAN or something stupid like that. Now we have a shitload of 2013 cap money AND a shitload of smoking craters in our roster at the same time. GROSS MISMANAGEMENT. PERIOD.

2. We have a motherfucking LUDICROUS amount of cap space in 2014. Completely ridiculous. We could easily have reworked some deals and loaded some of this year's money into next year. EASILY. Yet now we have a HORRIFIC amount of 2014 cap money AND less than half a full 53-man roster going into the offseason. GROSS MISMANAGEMENT. PERIOD.

3. Al didn't fire the best HC we've had since Gruden and then hire Dennis Allen, Tarver and Knapp - and now the legendary Greg Olson. The keystone cops are all on Reggie. Every fucking one of them.

4. Al didn't refuse to play guys like Pryor, Bergstrom and Bilukidi even when our season was irretrievable, so that now we really have NO fucking idea what we have in those guys and cannot make educated decisions about their positions.

5. Al didn't sign the likes of Turnstile Brisiel, Cardboard Cut-out Willie Smith, Bartell, Spencer, Ross, Adams, Francies, Maiava, Sims, Hunter, Flynn, etc. Al didn't give Brisiel a 4-year deal to be stuck with him, while also giving Wheeler a 1-year deal only to lose him. Al didn't cut Wimbley and replace his pass rush productivity with NOTHING. The list of personnel debacles goes on and on.

Look, I could go ALL DAY listing Reggie's epic failures. They are legion. The number of things he has fucked up in just one season and one and a half offseasons is staggering.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby DeadRinger » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:53 am

Well?? Are those points correct or are they not?

Of course they are. And every one of them is either being ignored or rationalized by the Kool-Aid drinkers.

"Al's the one who fucked us! He ruined it all, mortgaged our future, blah blah blah..."

BULLSHIT!

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby RF34 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:38 pm

I was all set to address each of your points. But then I read this and thought it did pretty well.

Major Cap Space in 2014:
L.Damien

It's been rough times for the Raiders the past couple years. Their salaries against the cap have been a complete mess. And while the team was $22 million over the cap last year, they are experiencing an equally difficult task this year - dead money.

At present, the Raiders have astounding $49 million in dead money. For those unfamiliar, dead money is that which is paid out to players who are no longer on the team. When a player is cut or traded, any remaining signing bonus, that would have been prorated, immediately figures into the current salary against the cap.

For the Raiders, the major dead money was left behind by the voiding of Richard Seymour's contract, the cutting of Darrius Heyward-Bey, Michael Huff, Rolando McClain, and Tommy Kelly, and the trading of Carson Palmer.

The salary cap is set at $123 million this season with a $4.5 million rollover from last season. This means 38% of the team's salary cap money this season is being paid to players who are not on the team. It also means they have just $78 million to spend on the players currently on the roster. They must field a $78 million roster and expect to compete against $123 million rosters. That isn't really a fair fight but it is the situation they are in.

This situation is one part the fault of Al Davis and the previous regime and one part the new regime's doing. They could have opted to keep some of the big contracts if they wanted to do so. This would have meant less dead money but more money being shelled out to players not worth those contracts.

This situation has the Raiders in a bind as far as signing any big contracts this off-season. They have made several free agent signings thus far but none have been big deals. In fact, up until the Tracy Porter's one-year, $2.5 million contract, not one of the team's free agent signees had a cap hit over $1.5 million in 2013.

The team was well under the cap as of last week. But with the release of Rolando McClain, he leaves behind about $11 million in dead money which is an increase of $4.2 million over what his cap hit already was. The Raiders also reportedly released OL Jason Slowey which could mean they needed to eliminate one more cap hit to get just under the salary cap.

There is a method to this madness. Taking all this crazy $43 million in dead money has the team currently looking at an even crazier $69 million in cap space in 2014. That means in two seasons under Reggie McKenzie and company, the Raiders will have had a $91 million swing in money against the cap.

I cannot recall there ever being a team with that kind of cap money available to them. Fans are going to be drooling at the free agent possibilities with that kind of money to spend. Don't get your hopes up too high. There is no way the team goes on a spending spree for outside free agents. That is not Reggie McKenzie's style.

What we can expect next off-season, however, is fewer of the team's own free agents walking away. This year the team watched as their coveted free agent linebacker Philip Wheeler left for a nice contract in Miami. Another core piece to get big money elsewhere was defensive tackle, Desmond Bryant.

If you think losing Wheeler and Bryant was a big deal, you don't know the half of it. Next season, the best young talent on this roster is set to hit free agency. Jared Veldheer, Lamarr Houston, Stefen Wisniewski, and Denarius Moore will all see their rookie contracts expire. The good news is the Raiders will have more than enough money to retain any or all of them they choose. They can also do it without backloading their contracts the way Al Davis always did which is what got the team in this bind in the first place.

While the Raiders are still making attempts to be competitive this year, the priority has been to clean out the "out of whack" contracts. That task is complete and help is on the way.

Now it's time to see if they can add some draft picks to this patchwork of players and put together a scrappy team that can hold down the fort until the reinforcements arrive.

I win!

RF34
MVP
MVP

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:46 am

The article only makes my points. Never has a team had that kind of cap money. Never has a team had that kind of DEAD money.

Horrific mismanagement.

And all this article does is regurgitate the same old shit. Which doesn't surprise me, seeing as how it's Levi "Rose-Colored" Damien.

Yeah, let's put together a "scrappy" team that can "hold down the fort." What a monster accomplishment that will be.

I'm so happy.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby The Blackness » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:05 am

So, we'll just agree that EVERYTHING in S&B Land SUCKS! And will ALWAYS SUCK under ALL new regime from Mark down to the jock strap guy doing laundry.That should sum up this entire conversation w/ DR.

When you have had your ass handed to you by a Raider, you've seen The Blackness..

The Blackness
Rookie
Rookie

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:30 am

The Blackness wrote:So, we'll just agree that EVERYTHING in S&B Land SUCKS! And will ALWAYS SUCK under ALL new regime from Mark down to the jock strap guy doing laundry.That should sum up this entire conversation w/ DR.

You could choose to sum it up like that. If you're a brain-dead fuckhead.

And I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that you fit into that category.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:08 pm

BTW, do you really think Mark is cool with all this? Did you not read his comments last season? He was fucking pissed at the outcome of the season. The last thing he thought he was going to see was a WORSE team than we had in 2011.

Mark doesn't know shit about football so he hired someone he thought was an expert, someone who came highly recommended by trusted advisors. He hired Reggie to make the team BETTER. Instead, Reggie clubbed the Raiders like a baby seal.

Mark didn't want to fire Hue. But Reggie talked him into it, based solely on the team's poor record in the last third of the season. The last thing Mark expected was for Reggie to come in and deliver HALF as many wins, a complete disaster by anyone's standards.

Now he's sitting there watching Reggie compile an all-time league record for dead money, then throwing good money after bad by signing the likes of Brisiel, Sims, Hunter, Maiava, et al. Not to mention overpaying for Matt Flynn while simultaneously flushing millions in the Palmer trade.

And fans are elated. It's fucking unfathomable to me.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby DeadRinger » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:28 pm

Let's take a look at what Mark said last season.

“I’m patient, but I want to see progress. Not regression. I’m embarrassed, pissed, disappointed and I take full responsibility.” - Mark Davis

Sounds like a happy guy huh? Everything's right on schedule as planned, right?

“I know that we didn’t have the talent, at the beginning of the year, to be a Super Bowl team. I thought that we had definitely potential to get maybe in the playoffs and beat our division. Obviously, that hasn’t happened.” - Mark Davis

Sounds like he was ready to throw 2-3 seasons down the toilet, doesn't it?

“As I said, coming in I didn’t know that we had a Super Bowl team and everything, but you can’t blame it on the salary cap and all that. You have players and you coach ‘em and you play. You got to be Raiders.” - Mark Davis

Sounds like he totally buys into the whole "victim of the cap" mentality, doesn't it? Absolutely not. He doesn't buy that bullshit anymore than I do.

This thing can be turned around. But Mark has to develop just a bit more weight in his nutsack before he'll do what must be done.

And I'm sure you next stupid fucking question would be something like "so what do you think should be done, since you know it all?"

Right?

Listen, don't even bother. You don't want to go there, thinking you're going to trap me somehow into agreeing with Reggie. It's been tried by much smarter folks than you. If you think there's anything that will come out of my keyboard that actually supports your position you're sadly mistaken. Because I can point to an avalanche of facts to support my arguments and my ideas of what should be done (I've done it many times already with many, many people. You're way behind the curve here). The essence of your argument is "Al sucked. I like that Reggie's different." And that's just pathetic.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Previous

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum