49ers agree to trade quarterback Alex Smith to Chiefs

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

49ers agree to trade quarterback Alex Smith to Chiefs

Postby blazin1 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 am

The San Francisco 49ers have agreed to trade quarterback Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs, a league source confirmed to ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Kansas City will trade its second-round pick in the 2013 draft -- the second selection (No. 34 overall) in the round -- as well as another conditional mid-round pick in 2014 to acquire Smith from San Francisco, a league source told ESPN.

As a result of the trade, the Chiefs are expected to release former starting quarterback Matt Cassel, league sources told ESPN. Cassel has two years remaining on a $63 million, six-year deal he signed with Kansas City after he was acquired in a trade from the Patriots in 2009. He failed to live up to the lofty contract, however, and was benched during the 2012 season.

At this point, Smith will play under terms of his remaining contract, which calls for a guaranteed base salary of $8.5 million in 2013. There has been no discussions between the Chiefs and Smith's representatives about negotiating a new contract.

The trade can't be officially completed until March 12 when the 2013 league year begins.

The trade agreement was first reported by Fox Sports.

Smith, the 2005 No. 1 overall draft pick, lost his starting job to Colin Kaepernick while sitting out with a concussion but was professional at every turn and continued to mentor his replacement.

Before his injury, Smith had completed 26 of his last 28 passes -- including going 18-of-19 for 232 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions in a "Monday Night Football" win at Arizona on Oct. 29.

He then sustained a concussion in the second quarter of the 49ers' next game, a 24-24 tie against St. Louis on Nov. 11. Smith sat out the next game as Kaepernick dazzled in his debut as an NFL starter, beating the Bears handily at home on "Monday Night Football." Smith didn't start again last season.

The 28-year-old quarterback has thrown for 14,280 yards with 81 touchdowns and 63 interceptions in 80 career games.

The Chiefs hired coach Andy Reid as their new coach this offseason after a 2-14 season that earned Kansas City the No. 1 overall pick but led to the dismissals of coach Romeo Crennel and general manager Scott Pioli.

LINK: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8995035/san-francisco-49ers-agree-trade-alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs-source

You don't adjust, you just dominate.

blazin1
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 90

Re: 49ers agree to trade quarterback Alex Smith to Chiefs

Postby snakebuck » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:09 am

OH NO!!! The Chefs are going to kick our ASS now. First it was Montana and now Smith. What are we going to do???

<<< Can you guys smell my sarcasm?>>>

PEACE RAIDER NATION!

snakebuck
All-Pro
All-Pro
Highscores: 0

Postby RF34 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:53 pm

snakebuck wrote:OH NO!!! The Chefs are going to kick our ASS now. First it was Montana and now Smith. What are we going to do???

<<< Can you guys smell my sarcasm?>>>

I can. But I'm sure someone out there will tell us we should be panicking...

I win!

RF34
MVP
MVP

Postby DeadRinger » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:36 pm

Nobody panics about Alex Smith.

It's their coaching upgrades that have me concerned. Because of that alone they will pass us by very soon.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Medals: 1

Postby R8ers4evr » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:41 pm

not worried about reid. he is a decent HC but he lost his edge. when he was great in philly. he had his head on straight and drafted team first guys. he drafted way too many me-first. (desean jackson, mike vick, darmaris johnson who was a good wr in college but got kicked out which is why he went undrafted and actually looked good last year, but also babin i heard was all about his own sacks, and that secondary... DRC is a turd, although talented, too me first if you're not winning)... anyways... i think he lost it... dont forget a lot of us were nervous about the chefs when pioli was hired. myself included... i thought he'd bring that drafting strategy and build thru the draft like they did in NE. im not worried about reid or alex smith...

Im a thinker. Im always right. Im all that matters. Then i woke up and realized im not a girl.

R8ers4evr
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby DeadRinger » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:52 pm

R8ers4evr wrote:not worried about reid. he is a decent HC but he lost his edge. when he was great in philly. he had his head on straight and drafted team first guys. he drafted way too many me-first. (desean jackson, mike vick, darmaris johnson who was a good wr in college but got kicked out which is why he went undrafted and actually looked good last year, but also babin i heard was all about his own sacks, and that secondary... DRC is a turd, although talented, too me first if you're not winning)... anyways... i think he lost it... dont forget a lot of us were nervous about the chefs when pioli was hired. myself included... i thought he'd bring that drafting strategy and build thru the draft like they did in NE. im not worried about reid or alex smith...
That's one way to look at it. Another way would be to say he left PHI with a 130/93/1 record, with a SB appearance. This is the guy who took a chance on Vick and turned him into a pro bowler, and put his team back in contention.

I would never fault anyone for putting together a "dream team" like he did. He swung for the fences and didn't quite make it. Unfortunately for him he basically let the RB position slide and it cost him.

But I believe this is a man who learns from his mistakes. Unlike the folks in our organization.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Medals: 1

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum