Cardinals were “shocked” Raiders didn’t franchise Jared Veld

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Cardinals were “shocked” Raiders didn’t franchise Jared Veld

Postby Tenebrous » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:49 am

Cardinals were “shocked” Raiders didn’t franchise Jared Veldheer

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 10, 2014, 6:19 AM EDT
Jared Veldheer
AP
The Cardinals signed left tackle Jared Veldheer to a five-year, $35 million contract at the start of free agency, but that wasn’t what they expected to do at the start of the offseason.

Cardinals offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin told Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic that the Cardinals didn’t think Veldheer would be available because they thought the Raiders would put the franchise tag on him. Goodwin said that when General Manager Steve Keim told him they would have a shot at acquiring Veldheer, they were, “Shocked. Shocked.”

The Cardinals view Veldheer, who previously played with quarterback Carson Palmer in Oakland, as a difference-maker to their offense.

“He’s tough. His size. He’s a guy you watch on film, he very seldom gets beat,” Goodwin said. “Every tackle at some point is going to get beat, but the thing you like about him is the next time, he’s going to try to beat that guy to a pulp. He’s not going to let that happen again. I think the comfort level between him and Carson (Palmer), having played together, is going to be huge. I also think he’ll bring a leadership role to the room. He’s a guy who is no nonsense and not afraid to get a little physical in practice or on the field. Don’t get me wrong, Bradley [Sowell] did a great job. He’s still a young guy. It was really his first year. Bradley is going to get better. I think Carson is a little bit more comfortable, and I think us as an organization are more comfortable having Veldheer.”

If Veldheer is as good as the Cardinals think he is, Arizona fans should be thankful to the Raiders, for allowing a franchise left tackle to walk away.

Indeed, this blunder was, and remains, shocking along with the Houston debacle. As if the Raiders did not have enough holes, RM had to go create new needs for a team with too many already.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 0

Re: Cardinals were “shocked” Raiders didn’t franchise Jared

Postby SoulPatrol » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:15 am

Let's see, a guy that seldom gets beat, provides leadership, recovers extremely well from the few times that he does get beat, has size, experience, toughness. Hmm, aren't those all the qualities that Reggie said he would bring in players to the team? So he doesn't want to play in Oakland, and Reggie is such a nice guy that he decides like big Grandpa to make the whole family happy and let him walk away without tagging him.

In the words of the great Randy Moss, "Something in Oakland smells - fishy"

SoulPatrol
First-Stringer
First-Stringer

Postby Forbiddenraider » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:02 pm

And Raider fans are shocked that this red headed gorilla oaf is still employed with the team. Of course Reggie let Veldeer go, he believes in letting good young players go and replacing them with old declining players. Reggie has a formula for success that's all his own.

Forbiddenraider
RF Refugees
RF Refugees

Postby DeadRinger » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:45 pm

Veldheer has stated bluntly that he wanted to stay here, Reggie's blowing smoke on that one. He could have EASILY thrown a contract at the dude that made him happy as hell.

Or hey, how bout this idea: He could have extended him before or during last season!! Isn't that a weird concept?

Reggie is no GM. Plain and simple. I don't know if there's anything he IS good at, because I can't see a single thing.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge
Medals: 1

Postby Tenebrous » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:02 pm

DeadRinger wrote:Veldheer has stated bluntly that he wanted to stay here, Reggie's blowing smoke on that one. He could have EASILY thrown a contract at the dude that made him happy as hell.

Or hey, how bout this idea: He could have extended him before or during last season!! Isn't that a weird concept?

Reggie is no GM. Plain and simple. I don't know if there's anything he IS good at, because I can't see a single thing.

He is apparently good at turning some Raider fans into blind RM cheerleaders.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby silver & black » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:32 pm

Tenebrous wrote:
DeadRinger wrote:Veldheer has stated bluntly that he wanted to stay here, Reggie's blowing smoke on that one. He could have EASILY thrown a contract at the dude that made him happy as hell.

He is apparently good at turning some Raider fans into blind RM cheerleaders.

RA,RA Reggie! :lol:

silver & black
Teh ROC
Teh ROC

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum