Raiders losing QB Wilson a blow

No Bullshit. Just Real Raiders Talk!

Postby Tenebrous » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:24 pm

By Paul Gutierrez | December 17, 2013 5:00:02 PM PST
ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Sure, the Oakland Raiders losing quarterback Tyler Wilson to the Tennessee Titans is a blow… on the surface.

But it’s not all that embarrassing, or unexpected.

Not when the Raiders gave up on the fourth-round draft pick from Arkansas so soon and cut him not once, at the end of training camp, but again on Nov. 27 and not a single team took a chance on him. Either time.

Until Tuesday afternoon, when the Titans made the move official.

It was obvious the Raiders did not see a future with Wilson, who was active twice this season but never got into a game. So the Titans signing him to their active 53-man roster off the Raiders’ practice squad actually spares Oakland the indignity of having to cut him a third time.

General manager Reggie McKenzie and coach Dennis Allen have obviously already admitted they erred in selecting Wilson with the No. 112 overall draft pick by cutting him a couple of times.

Remember, the Raiders initially targeted USC quarterback Matt Barkley at the start of the fourth round. But when the Philadelphia Eagles traded two spots in front of Oakland to draft Barkley, the Raiders traded back 12 slots and took Wilson.

And with Wilson drafted, he was the second new Raiders quarterback in four weeks, after Matt Flynn was acquired earlier in the month. Neither is in Oakland now.

Wilson appeared in two exhibition games after falling behind undrafted rookie Matt McGloin and completed 11 of 18 passes for 93 yards.

Obviously, McKenzie’s skill as a QB evaluator has come under scrutiny.

“Hey, listen, sometimes things don’t work out,” Allen said Monday, before Wilson was claimed by the Titans. “Sometimes mistakes are made. But I don’t think that’s, listen, I’m confident in Reggie McKenzie and the personnel staff in being able to evaluate football players, quarterbacks, offensive linemen, defensive linemen, I’m very confident in his ability to do that, I’m very confident in our ability as a coaching staff to be able to do that.”

Now we’ll see if the Titans’ staff can develop Wilson.

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs
Highscores: 0

Re: Raiders losing QB Wilson a blow

Postby 790thSFS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:28 pm

dude, al drafted jamarcus, need i say more? dont even say he was highly rated at the time. then that means you wouldve done the same shit and drafted that scumbag. I always knew he was garbage! FUCK LSU

790thSFS
The Mercs
The Mercs
Medals: 1

Postby Tenebrous » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:11 am

RAIDERS wrote:dude, al drafted jamarcus, need i say more? dont even say he was highly rated at the time. then that means you wouldve done the same shit and drafted that scumbag. I always knew he was garbage! FUCK LSU

No, I pushed for drafting Adrian Peterson with the 1st pick. Dead argued for Calvin Johnson I believe and you..?

For what it is worth, while Russell was not my pick, he was very highly regarded by the pundits on TV and print media, so I wasn't overly critical - I merely disagreed with the decision, but tried to support him once he was drafted by the Raiders.

You always knew Russell was garbage?! Maybe I am wrong, but I do not recall you heaping mounds of hate on the Russell pick before or immediately after the draft. Maybe you were not exactly happy like Dead and I, but that is not the same "knowing he was garbage." I'll be even more honest, while I did not like the pick, I didn't expect the level of #Fail that would result.

By the way, arguing that RM's blunder was not that bad considering Al Davis at his worst in his old age is not exactly a strong defense of RM. #JustSayin'

Hillary vs. Trump -- Two liberals running in the general election .. A race likely decided by which party hates their dishonest candidate less.

Tenebrous
The Mercs
The Mercs

Postby DeadRinger » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:13 am

Let me get this logic straight.

So according to this fucking genius, it's not embarrassing to give up on a 4th round pick and lose him to another team, as long as you already gave up on him before, and didn't lose him to another team??

The contortions these assholes put themselves through to protect their invenstment in RM are fucking outrageous.

BETTER be a playoff win in 2022.

DeadRinger
BR Scourge
BR Scourge

Postby 790thSFS » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:25 pm

Tenebrous wrote:
RAIDERS wrote:dude, al drafted jamarcus, need i say more? dont even say he was highly rated at the time. then that means you wouldve done the same shit and drafted that scumbag. I always knew he was garbage! FUCK LSU

No, I pushed for drafting Adrian Peterson with the 1st pick. Dead argued for Calvin Johnson I believe and you..?

For what it is worth, while Russell was not my pick, he was very highly regarded by the pundits on TV and print media, so I wasn't overly critical - I merely disagreed with the decision, but tried to support him once he was drafted by the Raiders.

You always knew Russell was garbage?! Maybe I am wrong, but I do not recall you heaping mounds of hate on the Russell pick before or immediately after the draft. Maybe you were not exactly happy like Dead and I, but that is not the same "knowing he was garbage." I'll be even more honest, while I did not like the pick, I didn't expect the level of #Fail that would result.

By the way, arguing that RM's blunder was not that bad considering Al Davis at his worst in his old age is not exactly a strong defense of RM. #JustSayin'

During the merc days, I was the main person against drafting russell. All I preached was to not waste a no. 1 pick on him. He wasn't even a top 10 pick before the sugarbowl game where he destroyed ND. After that, he was all over the news as a future can't pass-up QB. Then shows up at the combine fat. I wanted sorry ass quinn, glad we didn't get him either.

Having your No. 1 NFL be pick bust sets teams back 3 years. Losing Wilson and Flynn is nothing compared to that.

790thSFS
The Mercs
The Mercs

Return to Las Vegas Raiders Forum